API subscription cancel

a9ka9k Member
in Help edited April 2011
I'm starting some new Rails code to use the API to cancel subscriptions. I have a couple questions: (I'm testing with 071).

* What's the recommended way to "kill" a subscription?

Will setting is_active=0 be enough to "kill" a subscription in 071? I found in foxycart admin that I also have to make next_date blank so I wonder if there is a validation that might affect the API call.

* Will the above remove/end their recurring change in PayPal?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    is_active=0 will basically turn it off entirely, and it'll never show up in your sub XML datafeed. This definitely will work.

Setting the sub_enddate to tomorrow also will work, and _will_ include the sub cancellation in the sub XML datafeed. It just depends on how you want to roll it. If you have a lot of automation already built into your sub datafeed processing, that might be easier, but if your code is modular you could just set it to is_active=0 and run all the same processes.

As far as PayPal goes: Yes, ... actually... that's a good question. I know for sure that the sub_enddate approach will end PayPal Standard subscriptions, but we'll have to check on the is_active=0 method.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey a9k. I just looked through the code to verify, but if you set is_active to false in the admin and also in the api, it should communicate to PayPal and Suspend the recurring payment.

When we first launched 070 with PayPal Express subscription support, we expected to a get a lot of feedback from the community... unfortunately, fewer people than expected actually started using it so it's not as battle tested as we'd like. If you run into and problems or issues with it, please let us know and we'll take a look for you.