Strange transaction xml paypal express

a9ka9k Member
in Help edited April 2011
Please check transaction 3492404 in the solari store. (Was on 071 until an hour ago when I decided my heath can't take living in beta land)

My XML handler couldn't figure it out. I can't understand what it's trying to tell me. Total is zero but it's not a customer info update, Transaction detail shows 275 cost. Transaction says paypal express but there is no paypal transaction id. DOES NOT COMPUTE - head explosion.

When I look at the corresponding receipt - it shows total of 0.00, and the following subscription dates (which I don't get either).

Subscription Details:
Frequency: Every Year
Start Date: 2009-04-17
Next Date: 2012-04-17
End Date: 2011-04-18

This guy was charged for past due in the previous transaction 3491961. I'm working on canceling all our past due people. (I really hate the whole past due feature - we have 600 active subscribers).

He has disappeared out of paypal according to our customer service. She can't find any transactions in paypal for him - even back in 2009. 2009 transaction would be 258379.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey a9k.
    Please check transaction 3492404 in the solari store. (Was on 071 until an hour ago when I decided my heath can't take living in beta land)
    Is there something specific you're seeing in 071 that doesn't work the same in 070? If so, please let us know because I think they should be acting the same.

As for 3492404, take a look at 3491961 and things start to make sense. Actually, just search for that subscription and then click the subscription history link. The customer was past due, so that payment was made and then (on the same day) it looks like the customer cancelled (which explains the future line item and $0 order total amount).
    My XML handler couldn't figure it out. I can't understand what it's trying to tell me. Total is zero but it's not a customer info update, Transaction detail shows 275 cost. Transaction says paypal express but there is no paypal transaction id. DOES NOT COMPUTE - head explosion.
    Where are you seeing paypal express? Can you whisper me that XML? We're actually testing some improvements to 071 right now that will handle historical payment information much better. The line item is a future line item though, so that explains the $0 order total.
    When I look at the corresponding receipt - it shows total of 0.00, and the following subscription dates (which I don't get either).

Subscription Details:
    Frequency: Every Year
    Start Date: 2009-04-17
    Next Date: 2012-04-17
    End Date: 2011-04-18

Since he wasn't scheduled to be charged again until 2012, it's a future subscription (which he modified to cancel on 2011-04-18)
    This guy was charged for past due in the previous transaction 3491961. I'm working on canceling all our past due people. (I really hate the whole past due feature - we have 600 active subscribers).

I'm not sure what you mean by "hate the whole past due future"... can you elaborate? Would you rather we didn't keep track of what is owed for a subscription? I don't know of any subscription system that works that way. If you want to automatically cancel a subscription that fails to make a payment, you can integrate with the subscription XML datafeed and cancel things directly via the API.
    He has disappeared out of paypal according to our customer service. She can't find any transactions in paypal for him - even back in 2009. 2009 transaction would be 258379.

That I'm not sure about. From what I see, it looks like he should have been billed on Sun 17 Apr 2011 04:20:05 AM PDT but when I look at that transaction, I don't see the PayPal Transaction ID.

Digging a little further, it looks like everything was working until April 16th at which point the transactions run via subscription were showing a blank PayPal Transaction ID which may indicate they didn't process correctly? I'm not seeing any obvious reason for this, however.

When did you downgrade to 070 from 071?
  • a9ka9k Member
    Down graded yesterday to 071 - not much difference. Once excrement hit the fan, no one wanted beta. Probably going to try 071 again once things settle down and we see some normal renewals. We usually see groups of them every few days.

I think I have part of the answer of the weird transaction with no processor info.

In payments there are two check boxes concerning Paypal
    [ulist]
    [li](A) allow customers to use Credit cards where you can use paypal web pro.[/li]
    [li](B) Allow customers to use paypal.[/li]
    [/ulist]

Our admin turned A off because we all thought B would handle everything thru paypal. Apparently not AND it gives no errors in transactions, just no processor information.

What's your take on running just B?

Next she turned on A and B but entered the wrong email in A (argh). That resulted in a 10002 error during her test of checkout today around 11am. Then they called me. I found the email was wrong at about noon today. I have since run my credit card through using the >>checkout. The paypal express hasn't been tested again since that email change though.

So during limbo (B only) time: Some of the transactions that went bad were auto renewals. Maybe all of them. Many of the auto-renewals are with dead credit cards so maybe that triggered using credit cards while the A check box was off? You'll have to look at your code - maybe if the subscription was done via A then it will renew via A even when A is not enabled?

As for how subscriptions work - I disagree. No magazine sends me extra issues. They hit me for renewal early (excessively) and if I don't renew, no more issues. Your subscription model is probably based on your own subscription service - you don't want to turn off a store. Our model is more like internet ISP - you don't pay them and you're cut off the next day.

Before I got dragged off into this A/B thing, I tried some API subscription_cancels. I think subscription_cancel should have changed the end_date. I didn't see that so probably my API module isn't right despite many RSpec tests. Eventually I should have a nice Rails FoxyAPI module for foxy people. (yes I've done curl tests - they work).
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @a9k, this one was addressed in a separate thread, right?