General shipping setup question

joefranksjoefranks Member
in Help edited April 2011
Does anyone have any experience/opinions about how to best setup shipping options for a variety of circumstances?

We have a lot of small/mid sized products that we plan to offer realtime quotes on expedited shipping. Large products where this will not really be an option and some non-stock items that will have lead times and again, not have expedited options.

My first guess was to set product-categories for different groups and manage the shipping options there but it isn't clear to me how it handles mixed cart categories in the checkout. Looks to me like if I add an item that is set as "no shipping" and one that is set for realtime it will include the weight of the "no shipping" category item into the shipping calculation calculation. Is there more information somewhere about how the cart deals with different shipping rules on different category?

My solution right now is to flag products with custom attributes and set our items that will not be eligible for expedited quotes as zero weight and notify the customer during checkout. That seems like it will work fine and I think I will be able to even restrict some of the shipping selection options depending on the custom flags that come through. So not a huge issue, but if you have any other ideas that would be great.

Also...

My custom attribute names are getting their underscores stripped out and replaced with spaces when they are added to the cart. Is that intended?

Thanks!
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Looks to me like if I add an item that is set as "no shipping" and one that is set for realtime it will include the weight of the "no shipping" category item into the shipping calculation calculation.
    It _shouldn't_ do that. Are you sure? Sometimes small weight differences are hard to see when testing, but if it's including weights of products that have "no shipping" set, that'd be a bug. We'll take a look.

As far as the underscores to spaces... That was intended as a sort of helper type of functionality, but it's the first time that it's come up as undesired behavior. So yeah, it's intended behavior, but perhaps it's time to reexamine. Is it problematic?
  • Okay, I will mess with the categories again and see how it works out, that may be easier than my current plan.

Stripping the underscores is not problematic, just curious if it was intended.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    It might be an issue after all... looking through the system, it currently checks if the weight of a product is 0 or if the product delivery type is a download... if neither of those is true, it uses the default category weight. The quick fix is to clear out the category weight and set it to a 0. We'll probably fix this in 071.