A Couple Questions for a New Account

sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
in General edited April 2011
I'm working with a new customer and they had a few questions I couldn't answer.

1) UPS Insurance Rates
Does the UPS rate quote send the value of the item for insurance purposes? After looking around the forum, it seems that maybe it doesn't but that will come with Super Ship? (Soon?) I think it will work to do a percentage of the total cost as the handling fee for now.

2) AVS Response
Does FoxyCart return an AVS response for some processors? It seems that maybe they do, but the default test account for Authorize.net doesn't seem to. Are there some processors that will return an AVS response? My client would like to be able to be able to see the AVS response to help deciding whether it's a valid order or not. Since the IP is logged that is helpful in this process as well.

It would sure be nice if there were some native auth-capture functionality in FoxyCart or through the API. This is the second client I've worked with who likes to run the auth and the capture separately. Sending them to the processor to process the payment is not really that feasible for any sort of volume.

Thanks...
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited April 2011
    I'll let Luke answer #1, but for #2, the answer is maybe. Some gateways do, some don't. It's really just a matter of who's asked for what at this point, since we added the capability a version or two ago, but because gateways often return a lot of info that isn't needed we kind of have a "we'll look at adding it when we're asked".

So, glad you asked ;)

We do know that some native post-auth capture functionality through our API would be rad, and it is something we plan on addressing, but we have a lot of higher priorities at the moment.

Also, related to the goal: We've looked at adding a pre-gateway fraud service as well (like minFraud), but again that's not at the top of the list. But definitely things that we have in mind, and we appreciate being asked about.

Any ideas on what specific info your client wants? We could take a look at adding it to Authorize.net, but because the Auth.net code is reused by a lot of other gateways it may take us a little bit to look into and to implement.

(Off topic though, we'll be pushing a change to production soon that'll fix foxycart.js in v0.7.1 to work with jQuery 1.5.x, which I know you asked about a few weeks ago.)
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    That's great news about jQuery 1.5.x -- looking forward to that one.

I think the client just wants to be able to see whether the AVS failed or not. I think AVS usually comes back with a response that equals NO RESPONSE, FAILED, PASSED, or PARTIAL PASSED. The client just wants to be able to access this info easily as a fraud warning. Also, they are open to really any gateway. I think I'd lean to toward having this available in Authorize.net since that's what I've mostly used in the past, but if you can point me in the direction of a gateway that already returns this information in the datafeed I could push the client toward that gateway.

Which brings me to another question: do some gateways return more fields in the datafeed (like $transaction->avs_response) or is it just included with $transaction->processor_response?
    Which brings me to another question: do some gateways return more fields in the datafeed (like $transaction->avs_response) or is it just included with $transaction->processor_response?
    Yes, it's not well documented (sorry) but some gateways have a processor_response_details node under the processor_response node. Inside this processor_response_details node are additional nodes that vary by gateway (but are all basically <name>value</name> formatted).

So that's where we'd add any AVS response. In taking a look, we have Cybersource (which actually owns Auth.net) returning the "avsCode" as well as a variety of other data (cvCode, reconciliationID, and more). So that's an option that's supported right now, fwiw.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    As for your original question #1, we're not currently sending that information but we'll add to our list of growing requirements for shipping improvements.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Sounds good Luke. Thank you.

Brett, thanks for the info about Cybersource. I will check that out and see about heading that direction for a merchant account. As far as the codes that are returned, I hope that you'll consider standardizing them across processors as you add more data. It would be really problematic from an application perspective different to check for different field names for all the different processors.

Thanks!
    Good point about from your perspective, though from our perspective it might be problematic as well, because not all gateways respond with the same information. Even if we standardized the field names, the values wouldn't likely be able to be standardized because different gateways have different codes that mean different things... Definitely something we'll have to consider.