Joomla integration

pixelpraisepixelpraise Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited September 2007
Brilliant solution! Any chance of syncing user databases with Joomla?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited September 2007
    We have plans to do a basic user API, but not in the immediate future. That said, we definitely want to get some Joomla integration, so if you have ideas on how you'd like it to work, let's get a discussions started.

Are you talking specifically about syncing user records (as you indicated), or other types of integration?

PS: Thanks for the compliment! We're really glad you like it. Tell your friends ;)
  • Thanks for the quick reply :)
    I was just thinking about syncing the user table so a customer could log in Joomla and their info would be available in FoxyCart.
    I'll pass it by the core team and hopefully generate some interest. No one is really satisfied with the ecommerce plugins for Joomla.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    I wasn't either ;)
    Haven't used VirtueMart since it used to be php-shop, but ... well, if I loved it, I wouldn't have spent countless hours on FoxyCart ;)

If we have motivated people involved, we'll be more motivated ourselves to build out our user API. We've already discussed at length some different options to achieve something like you described, so if you want to start throwing out some ideas and/or getting others involved, that'd be great.

Our discussions on the matter have been centered around the problems we'll face with a fake type of shared authentication. One of the thoughts is for the CMS (Joomla, in this case) to POST to FoxyCart an encrypted value containing either XML or name/value pairs with the checkout information (name, address 1, address 2, etc.). For security reasons, we probably wouldn't utilize a saved CC# in a situation like that. So that option would be more of a "pre-population" than a true "sync", but it's an idea we've been kicking around.

We've also discussed more advanced options, but please feel free to throw out ideas about how you see this working with Joomla. We've built FoxyCart to integrate with CMSs, but this is a piece of integration we haven't tackled yet.
  • Hi guys...I just found this through PixelPraise's site, JoomlaPraise.com. I have to say, this looks very intriguing as an ecommerce solution, and I would love to see this integrated with Joomla as well. I can't help directly with the development of such an integration, but I would gladly help promote it at my website, HowToJoomla.net.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks so much, Cory!

Last we heard, there's a project in progress.... we'll try to get more info and get back to you.
  • I worked some with virtuemart to make it foxycart compatible recently but it involved some hacking on the files which is never a good idea. I am looking at using a catalog component as the 'store'. I'm looking at mosets tree and sobi2- i'll choose whichever one is the most configurable and templateable.

I'm choosing a catalog component so we can create additional 'option fields' whether radio, checkbox, etc.

I'll let you know.

Chuck
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks so much, Chuck. Joomla is a large community that we'd love to make a little more foxy.