The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Multiple subscriptions

cfncfn Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited July 2008
Hi, here's an issue we're experiencing:

Customer buys qty. of 2 of a particular subscription item in one transaction. (one membership for him and identical membership for his wife.)

qty 2 x 29.00 = 58.00 noted in receipt (but not charged because the subscription starts on a 30 day delay.)

But, in the "subscriptions" area of the admin panel,
only 1 x 29.00 subscription shows up.

We might have to limit max qty. anyway because we'd prefer to have each person sign up individually so this might be a moot point for our site in the future.

But, is this a bug that only 1 subscription shows up in the subscription area?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for pointing this out. Future versions will have a completely different way of doing subscriptions so we'll take a look at this then. If you need it immediately, please let us know.
  • Same problem here experienced.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, Brett and I were just discussing that. We'll look into it and if we can make a fix before the next version, we will.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    The nature of the problem comes down to how we originally designed subscriptions. We were thinking along the lines of "charge $50 a month" instead of "I want to order 2 widgets every month". As we've mentioned in other posts, we'll be redesigning this system completely in the future, but for now... we need a different solution. Here are the options:

1) We could force the quantity to 1 for all subscriptions (or you could do this yourself with a max_quantity=1 attribute)

2) We could adjust the amount of the subscription to be the product price * quantity (right now, it's just using the price)

#2 seems to make the sense. What do you think?

As a side note, you should be able to fix those subscriptions by modifying the amount in the admin.
  • cfncfn Member
    I like #2.

Sounds easy and workable.

For the existing customers who have done this, I will just go into admin and change the amount. (Know what would be great? A checkbox-kind of setup where you could change multiple people to a new amount. Another use would be if a subscription price increases... wouldn't that make life easy? As long as the increase is communicated appropriately to the buyers, that is.)

But as I mentioned, we're experiencing other problems from our own design because we allowed multiple quantities. Its a gym that is using this for memberships, and we're going in the direction of preferring that each member sign up individually (even if they are related) because we would like to have a complete individual record for each person.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Ah, bulk editing capabilities would be interesting. We'll keep that in mind.

We really hadn't anticipated all the different situations that people would want to use recurring payments for, and we apologize for that. Part of the problem is that we're not forcing quantity_max on the first subscription purchase, but are changing it later. We know that's very lame, but again, we just hadn't considered the possibility. Luckily our next version (or 2, possibly) will address this issue and will allow the functionality everybody's looking for.

We'll go ahead and make that change once we make sure it won't break things. I'm not sure if we can automatically modify your subscription amounts when we make the change. Luke will update as we make progress though so please check back here over the next couple of days.

Thanks for your patience.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    #2 is now in place.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    To clarify: This fix applies to all _future_ subscriptions, not _existing_ subscriptions. If you have existing subs that are wrong you'll need to manually change the sub amount.