The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Google Analytics Goal Funnels stopped working July 7th

foxybafoxyba Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited August 2011
I just realized that Google Analytic's Goal Funnel stopped processing data correctly on or around July 7th. I didn't make any changes to my website or store settings, so I'm wondering if it was some change on Foxycart's side. Basically, my Analytics Goal of "Sale" seems to be getting reported correctly, however the Goal Funnel is reporting 100% cart abandonment rate starting July 7th (which is an incorrect statistic.) Before that date, everything was working fine.

I'm running store version 0.6.0.

I appreciate any ideas on this issue.

Thanks
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey foxyba. We just noticed something similar to our goals overview which started around July 23rd. We're looking into it and will post something back once we know what's going on.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Actually, I just spoke with Brett and the issue with the tracking for our own signup process that got tweaked on the 23rd is unrelated. However, we are still looking into this and Brett should hopefully be on later today with an update.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @foxyba, can you share (whisper if it's private) your domain so we can take a look?
    Update: Looks like there was indeed something we changed, related to a security improvement that had an unintended side effect of slightly changing some of the values that this Google Analytics integration relies on. We have a fix but want to make sure it's working in production before we change the docs with the updated code.

We're really sorry about this. In this case the change was for security reasons (caught by a security firm we hired to do a penetration test on our system), and though the changes were tested before being rolled out to release, we obviously didn't catch the impact it had on the GA integration.
    edited August 2011
    CRITICAL UPDATE:
    Here's the fix:

EDIT: The forum is eating some characters. Check the "Changes To This Page" bit on the docs.
  • Glad you guys figured it out. Thanks.

Since I'm still on 0.6.0 this is what I changed (I'm assuming it's correct):

cart template:

jQuery(function($){
    if (fc_json.custom_fields) {
    $('a.fc_link_nav').each(function(){
    var href_link = $(this).attr('href') + fc_json.custom_fields.replace( /\&/g, '&' );

checkout template:

if (window.location.hash.search(/utma/) == -1 && fc_json.custom_fields.length > 0) {
    window.location.hash = fc_json.custom_fields.replace( /\&/g, '&' );
    }

receipt template:

no change
    Hey @foxyba. I updated the v0.6.0 GA docs on our wiki too, but you may need to replace it in two more places (once on the cart and once in the receipt). Let us know how it works out.
    Another update:
    We've been continuing to diagnose this issue, and in doing so we've determined that it _wasn't_ actually a change made to our system that caused this. I apologize for the confusion, as there was a change made that looked to be related, but it didn't actually cause this behavior.

So at this point, we know that on July 7th, _something_ happened that caused problems across _all_ (from what we can see, and we have access to a few others' accounts who haven't chimed in here) GA + FC integrations, on v0.6.0 and v0.7.0+.

We've confirmed on our end that our code from April 1, June 1, July 1, July 6, and today _all_ suffers the same problem with the GA goal funnel (which really is related to a bigger issue with the _setAllowLinker not working). We've also confirmed that it wasn't a systems change.

This is a _complete_ change in the GA behavior though, affecting 100% of visitors, so it's not browser specific or OS related. It happened across _all_ GA accounts, at the same time, worldwide.

So, with all that said, this is almost invariably related to a change in GA itself. Unfortunately, the Google Analytics changelog shows nothing related and nothing on that day (or nearby).

We're going to keep digging, but at this point our best guess is that this actually was a change in the ga.js. I haven't been able to find anything related to an issue like this on July 7th, but our approach is fairly unique in the ability to allow onclick and onsubmit events while still working with cross-domain tracking, so it doesn't surprise me that nobody else would have been impacted if indeed this was a ga.js change.
  • Interesting... thanks for keeping us posted on the mystery.
  • mtmt Member
    Hi Guys, i'm having some strange issues too. It's still capturing conversions and sales data, but something in the funnel is broken as all the hits to the checkout page are showing up as entrances... i uploaded a screenshot of how that looks in GA.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattyturner/6070795029/

I wouldn't care except i'm trying to run some AB tests and it means I can't get all the juicy data in Google Analytics
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @mt, which store is this for?
  • My Analytics funnels seem to be accurate these days.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @mt,

I think I can see what the issue is for you.

In your page template, you redefine the fcc.events.process events array at the bottom of the script to add your own process script in for colorbox. In doing so, you also remove the process event added above that for the analytics. If you move the block of script (this one) to be the last script on the page below the one where you redefine fcc.events.process that should work. As it stands the analytics session information isn't being passed over to your cart or checkout - so it doesn't know where your users are coming from.
  • mtmt Member
    I've made that change.

The goal DID break when I setup the setup the experiment in GWO but i'm not 100% certain this is the issue. The reason is that the extra process script only exists on one of the variations, the other 3 still work the same way... i've done AB tests before without any problems.

I'll post an update tomorrow.
  • mtmt Member
    I double checked GA today after making that change. The goal still isn't tracking correctly. Do you have any other ideas?
  • So, i'm still blanking...

I have double checked that the hash is being set correctly on all pages (it is)..even down to the custom GA variable i'm setting.

I have checked that the foxycart track cart page view event is firing (it is)

But in my funnel it's still showing only 2% conversion from cart to checkout, but with hundreds of entrances directly to the checkout.
    @mt, I'm not really sure what's going on either. The __utmz cookie gets set initially (I'm testing by coming in from google with search phrase "the solemates", fyi), but then somehow it gets weird. I'll dig into it and let you know if I can figure anything out, but I've never seen behavior like this.
    Hey @mt.

I think this is a different issue so I'm starting a new thread. Let's discuss over here:
    http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5028