Subscriptions & Regular Products - how to handle

tpaytontpayton Member
in Help edited August 2008
I'm working on my first FoxyCart site. So far it is a great cart. My needs for the site are as follows:

First a user needs to become a member of the site which requires a monthly fee. I'm using the subscription system for this. Once they become a member, they are allowed to buy items.

The problems is because they are sharing the same cart and receipt pages it is very confusing for a user. Is there any way I can possibly have different redirects after the user has purchased based on if they are signing up for the membership or they are a member purchasing additional items?

Currently the receipt page redirects a user to the last page they were on the site (before they were passed to foxy cart). This is fine for purchases but not for subscription. The poor person who just purchased a subscription things they need to purchase it again because it doesn't look like it "went through".

Any thoughts?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I suggest dealing with this using some javascript in your receipt template. Just overwrite the continue link and send them back to your home page. Will that work?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    I actually did this recently. Let me know if you'd like me to post some sample code. It basically tries to find (using javascript) a specific item in your cart (a subscription, in your case), then does something if it finds it.
  • I believe I am trying to accomplish the same thing that tpayton was to some degree and was looking for some help.

I want users to pay for a yearly membership before being able to buy the downloadable products offered on the site. Is it possible to use the subscription plan for the membership part? If so, how can the member log back in at a later date to download more products?

Also, how would the products be displayed to all users without the user being able to purchase them before becomming a member (or logging in)?

I am really pleased with the cart so far and hope that you might have some answers. Thanks.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey jryanpowell.

Based on what you're describing, these are items your website will manage. The beauty of FoxyCart is that we don't force you into a box that doesn't work for what you specifically want to accomplish. Do you already have a members section on your website? Have you taken a look at MODx and the integrations we already have (http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration)?

You seem to be describing a members only section of your site which is something beyond FoxyCart alone, but our datafeed with hashed customer passwords will definitely help you integrate the two systems.

Does that help?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    To add to what Luke said, there are many people that have done this with MODx in various ways, including a plugin that's on our wiki integration page that Luke mentioned).

There's also FoxyBack-MODx (link at http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration) which is probably a better bet but isn't easy to set up at this point. And if you're using EE there's FoxEE which is in beta (http://expressionengine.com/forums/viewthread/89995/P36/#471887). You could always roll your own, but it obviously requires some know-how.