The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Send password in receipt

cfncfn Member
in Help edited August 2008
The Update Info feature is nice, I don't know if it existed before.
https://yourdomain.foxycart.com/cart?cart=updateinfo

Is there a way for in the original purchase email, for the buyer's FoxyCart password [a placeholder tag] to be sent in that email (because otherwise they will never remember what it is when it comes time to update their info)
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    That is already included if you're using ^^receipt^^ in your email template... it's right under "Purchasing Information". Also... that's the address the receipt email is actually sent to, so I'm a little confused as to how another place holder would be helpful. Maybe I'm just missing something...?
  • cfncfn Member
    edited August 2008
    Sorry but thats not working: here's a sample emailed receipt that uses the ^^receipt^^ tag. As you see the password is not showing in the customer's email receipt. I want the customer to get their password emailed to them, so they have it for reference and can later update their information. Right now they type in that password once and never get a record of it, or have any way to recall it other than to manually contact the store owner.

This is the template being used (very simple):

Thank you for shopping at ^^store_name^^
    ^^checkout^^
    ^^cart^^

^^receipt^^

This is what arrives in the customer's email:

Thank you for shopping at our store

ORDER SUMMARY:

* Order #: 73090

* Order Total: $15.00

PURCHASING INFORMATION:
    Email:

email@gmail.com

Billing Address:
    name
    address
    city, TX 43333
    US

CART:

Monthly Membership Fee
    * Quantity: 1
    * Price: $15.00
    * Total: $15.00
    * Frequency: Every Month
    * Start Date: 2008-08-05

Subtotal: $15.00
    Shipping/Handling: $0.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Total: $15.00

ORDER SUMMARY:

* Order #: 73090

* Order Total: $15.00

PURCHASING INFORMATION:
    Email:

email@gmail.com

Billing Address:
    name
    address
    city, TX 43333
    US

• lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Oh, I'm sorry, I completely misunderstood you. For some reason I thought you were asking for the email address.

I don't think we'll be sending the passwords via email receipts. Every time I've seen a merchant do that, I've instantly lost all respect for them and how they manage my privacy and security. Especially if someone is looking over my shoulder as I purchase the item and check my email... it's like WOAH!!! There's my password! Not cool.

If a customer forgets their password the next time they checkout a very helpful and simple to click "email me my password" option becomes available. That seems to be a more standard way of dealing with passwords instead of sending them when they weren't requested. That way, the user can get the password sent to them, login and then change the password right then.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    I'll chime in because I just kind of ranted about a similar topic:
    http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=498&page=1#Item_2

Check the "#1" item out in that post for an explanation of why this would be a bad idea.