The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Family & Couple Registrations

cfncfn Member
in Help edited August 2008
Scenario we are wishing to do:

A family wants to buy a gym membership. One person will use his/her credit card to buy it as a package. But up to four people might use the membership and we need name, phone, and DOB for all of them, but without cluttering up the checkout page.

This is a new strategy for us - up until now we've been forcing each person to go through the checkout process individually even if they wanted to buy as a couple.

What would you suggest as the best way to do this?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I would add all of the details as options for each product. Basically, you'd build a "product page" which would first ask how many memberships they want to purchase, then it would walk them through filling out the details for each membership. All of that info would then be sent to FoxyCart as product options. We have a lot of stores doing conference registrations in a similar manner.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Check the ellieandollie.com store page for a nice example of a dynamic form. Probably won't help you actually build it, but it might get Luke's idea across.
  • Are there any live examples of this type process - memberships with multiple people or registrations with multiple attendees?
    The client does not want to add them in the CheckOut process. I need them added to the product details.

ellieandollie no longer exists - too bad it was a really nice example (what I can remember of it).
  • I think I'm onto an answer here -
    In the below example the first (main attendee) gets passed to the cart, but none of the other attendees names get passed to the cart.

How do I get all the attendees names passed to the cart?
    (originally I needed to use 1: and 2: and so forth, not sure if that really applies to this solution, but I am still using a form to add to cart, so I believe it still applies)

<div class="fc_row">
    <input type="hidden" name="1:name" value="2012 Executive Forum" />
    <input type="hidden" name="1:price" value="500.00"/>
    <label class="label_left">Member TPA $500</label>
    <input type="text" style="width:40px;float:right;" name="1:quantity" value="0" />
    <br />
    <label class="fc_pre" for="attendee">Attendee Name</label>
    <textarea name="1:attendee" style="width:220px;height:23px;" value="0"></textarea>

</div>

<div class="fc_row">
    <input type="hidden" name="2:name" value="2012 Executive Forum" />
    <input type="hidden" name="2:price" value="400.00" />
    <label class="label_left">Additional Member(s) TPA</label>
    <input type="text" style="width:40px;float:right;" name="2:quantity" value="0" />
    <br />
    <label class="fc_pre" for="attendees">Attendee Name(s)</label>
    <textarea name="2:attendees" style="width:220px;height:23px;" value="0"></textarea>
    <textarea name="2:attendees" style="width:220px;height:23px;" value="0"></textarea>
    </div>
  • I just realized that I do not have unique names for the second set of attendees.
    For what ever reason - I thought If they were only unique between each set would work.

It works now. hopefully this will help some in the future.

CK
    Glad you got it worked out. The E&O site was indeed really nice.
  • How can I validate the the qty entered matches the number of attendees filled out in the form?
    This is an HTML page. I'm not opposed to turning them into PHP pages. However, a simple javascript/jquery validation would be great.
    Do you have a URL we can play with? It's a lot easier to whip up js when we can do it against the live HTML.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ckinteractivedesign,

Is there allowed to be any number of registered member attendees as well non-member, or is it a specific number of either? It might also might make more sense to make the text inputs dynamically as people specify how many people are coming.
  • I believe they can. An admin at a company might be signing up 10 or so members and they may individually have different member types.
    So you can see why we made the 3 different forms for each member type.

If the form can be dynamic to only show the text boxes for the qty entered would be great, plus it would be less confusing for the end user signing up.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Do you have some JavaScript experience for building out a dynamic form? I've done a few of these before where you dynamically add form fields to the page based on how many people are attending. Does that make sense?
  • I have done very basic validation with javascript a while back.

I'm thinking the pseudo code would be -

var = 0
    count/calculate total quantity tickets var=2
    then
    display/create input text field based on the new var=2

But I'm not sure. Do you have any examples someone has done? or can you help me out a bit.

CK
  • I found this jquery plugin to be close to what I am looking for - which means I would not have to validate the the total number of tickets, but just validate for each ticket entered.
    I have not looked into the jQuery, but If I have to use a different jQuery library can I just add a no conflict to it in order to keep using colorbox?

http://jquery.bassistance.de/validate/demo/dynamic-totals.html

If I can get this as close as possible to what I need, then could you help me out it I run into any problems?

Thanks much
    CK
    Hey CK.
    You should be able to use any other library you'd like, but if you run into conflicts let us know. But it should be fine, especially if it's still jQuery.
  • Created this test page and added the new jquery form with validation.
    http://www [dot] hcaa [dot] org/ef/ef_hcaa-member-nontpa_test.html

I'm trying to re-arrange it a bit to work this event registration.

First, changed all the form selects to input boxes for the attendee names.
    Second, changed the sell selects to input boxes in the non-displayed textarea that gets created when adding more attendees.
    Third, changed the jquery function to instruct the 'add more' on the input instead of the selects/option in the original.

Now I have the form with a input text box to add the attendee name and a quantity box and the ability to add more input text boxes with quantity to add more attendees.

Here's some of the problems I'm having.

1.The total is not adding up.
    2.The additional attendees are not getting added to the cart
    3.I no longer have unique names for the input text or quantity for the additional attendees in the jQuery - so the names cannot show up in the cart, which I need per client request
    4.I really only need the additional attendee quantity to default to 1, but if I do that then I would need the ability to delete that entry just in case if someone accidentally added too many 'add more attendees'

If this is too much, do you have any examples of anyone else doing something similar that I can look at?

Let me know if you can help out.

I realize It maybe easier to use an event registration platform with another vendor - but we want to continue to use FoxyCart code we are creating to sell memberships on the website year round after the event is over in February 2012. That's why we really want this solution to work out.
    Hey CK.
    In looking at that code, it looks like {0} get replaced with an integer using whatever plugin you're using. I'd try using that instead of the 3:. So try something like this:
    <input type="hidden" name="{0}:name" value="2012 Executive Forum" />
    <input type="hidden" name="{0}:price" value="850.00"/>

I'm not sure what the input "item-quantity-{0}" is for, but you probably don't need that.

Once you do that, make the inputs that are in the HTML (for the first registrant) 0: instead of 3:, and try that. It might actually work ;)
  • Hi Brett,

ok, thanks, I will try tonight.
    CK