Google Analytics, Website Optimizer, Two Accounts

brettbrett FoxyCart Team
in Help edited September 2011
This is in response to @mt's comments from this thread.

Hey @mt. In digging into your site a bit I found what I'd missed previously, which is that you seem to have two different Google Analytics accounts and two different pagetrackers. I think that's the major problem. While I believe that it can be done (though personally I have no experience with this), there does seem to be a greatly increased chance of rain fubar with it. This SO post has some interesting links and details.

To test:
* Clear cookies for your domain.
* Google "solemate".
* Hit that link and check the __utmz cookie. You'll see that it says it's "organic" (among other things).
* Hit the "Our Products" nav item and watch the __utmz cookie switch to "direct".

Are you using two different pagetrackers for a particular reason? I'd see if there's another way to do what you're doing, or let me know the details, as I'd love to learn more about your goals and setup.
Comments
  • Hmmm.. on the products page, the first one is the GWO tracking script, the second one is the regular GA tracking script.

The profile UA-11270471-2 profile is the code that GWO gave me to track conversions. I only have a single profile in Google Analytics so I assume Google uses this to keep the information separate.

If I remove the regular site tracking script will I still see the results in GA? I thought GWO info didn't make it into the GA reports, even though it's based on the same tracking system.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @mt Sorry for the delay. I've been out of the office this week. I'll have to dig in a bit more, but I'm pretty sure you need to use a single GA profile. Or if not, you definitely need to set it up differently. Either way, I'll dig in a bit more in the next few days, but if you want to try going through the setup / docs for GWO again that might help, because how it's set up right now is definitely borked (before FoxyCart is involved at all).