The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Pass values from my own checkout form to foxy cart checkout page

eng_ttueng_ttu Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited August 2008
I have my own custom sign up form on my website an would like to pass values from this form such as name, email address, password etc.... to populate the corresponding fields in foxy cart.

The reasoning behind this is that on my website I have an app that user must create a profile and subscribe to. When a user creates a profile they must enter in their name, email address, choose a password etc... I do not what the user to have to enter in the same information twice.

Thanks for your help?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    There are a few ways to handle this. What might be the easier way is to use the FoxyCart checkout to collect the information (and set the password), then create the user account in your system with the information from the XML that FoxyCart sends back to you (if you turn it on).

The password isn't sent cleartext, but rather an md5 hash, which is what's used in many open source CMS systems. So you could effectively sync the FoxyCart user account and the user account on your system that way.

That's how we've done it (a number of times) when I've needed to. It's not 100% ideal, but it's probably the best from a usability point of view.

Otherwise, you can certainly pre-populate the checkout with information from your own form:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:checkout:prepopulating
    The problem with that approach is that if forces the "single-use customer mode" (ie. checkout without password), which probably isn't what you're after.
  • Hi team,

Would I be right that this response is now outdated based on:
    http://www.foxycart.com/features/feature/integration/sso

?

Like the initial asker, I'm interested in the case where there is a pre-existing user account within a web application, and member details need to be passed into FC to attach to a transaction, then out again on successful purchase through the data feed.

Thanks in advance.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Fleef,

Wow an old thread! Yeah, you're right - SSO is what you'd be after if your customers already have a login for your site.