The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

XML DataFeed Inventory Software?

jodycollierjodycollier Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited September 2011
All-

I'm looking for some kind of software that will allow me to manage my inventory using the datafeed from FoxyCart. Our site is powered by wordpress, and I know there are a few plug-ins that can accomplish this, but I'm very much preferring hard-coding all of our product info into the pages, and the plug-ins don't seem to like that very much.

So basically, I want to tell a program how many shirts I have (naming them based on their matching nominators in the foxycart product categories), and have foxy's datafeed automatically update my stock levels, so I know when it's time to order more.

Ideas?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @jodycollier.

I could be wrong, but you might want to take a look at FoxyPress, which I _think_ might be a little easier with the approach you're taking. (@sparkweb might chime in here as well if FoxyShop can do what you're after.)

I bring up both of those plugins because they'd definitely make it easier. That said, if you wanted to do this yourself you certainly could, but it'd really depend on how you have things set up. Do you have a single WP page per product? And how are you creating your products (using custom fields, or just straight hardcoding them)?

The basic idea would be to:
    * Add a stock level custom field to the WP pages that need them.
    * Create a datafeed endpoint to parse the FoxyCart XML, find the product code and quantity ordered, and update the inventory level custom fields.
    * Create some other page (WP plugin perhaps?) to query your custom inventory level fields in the db and alert if they fall below certain thresholds.

We're definitely here to help. I think the next step would be to get more details of your current setup so we can help figure out what'll make the most sense.
  • brett-

I am hardcoding everything. It's allowing me to arrange things exactly how I want on the page. FoxyShop has very cool Order Management, but I'm not thrilled with the way it lays out products. I can see it works very well for many, many people - it's just not quite right for our site. I know some coding could fix that, but I don't have advanced knowledge of CSS, and just prefer basic HTML, for now (I know... it's not the most efficient way, but it's working for me).

It's a complicated arrangement I've got going right now. Not as complicated as some, I'm sure - but like I said, I'm no web-developer. In training, I guess.

Products don't necessarily have their own page. There is a store page with buy buttons strewn all over it (we thought we'd get more conversions that way, and I think we do).

Here's the site: http://welding-tv.com/the-store

I don't think FoxyPress is the answer, but if this all proves to be a heck of a lot easier with them or FoxyShop, I'll make the (rather daunting) transition. I tried moving everything over to a FoxyShop storefront, but was having a weird page title issue. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Hope all that informs some advice.
  • it seems like there has to be a simpler solution. does quickbooks do this kind of thing? take a datafeed from your online store and allow you to manage inventory levels? i'm an entrepreneur and i'm new to all this stuff. forgives me.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey jodycollier. From what we've heard from others, FoxyShop and FoxyPress are pretty straight forward. As far as inventory management goes (cycle stock, product codes, skus, BOMs, etc) it can get as complicated as you want it to be. We do have a quickbooks integration: http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration/quickbooks-web-connector as well as a simple inventory example used for the MODx cms (might give you some ideas): http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration/modx/inventory

If you like, we can recommend some developers who may be interested in building a custom solution for your needs.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Jody - yes, Quickbooks does do this. You'll want to look up the Consolibyte integration from the wiki - it runs $10/mo and your order info is fed directly into QB immediately through the connector.

I had posted this yesterday but it went into the wrong thread (whoops!):

Jody, I think that page title issue may be solved in 3.3 - I updated the query manually to take out the 404's you were seeing. As far as flexibility, FoxyShop is designed to be super-flexible. You could build 10 different layouts, call them with a function, do whatever you wanted. You don't even have to use any of the FoxyShop styling and just use it as a CMS for your products. When you want to get product information you can call foxyshop_setup_product() function to automatically load in all the product info, pricing, name, images into an array that you can then pull out and display exactly as you want. And it has the bonus of having inventory built right in.

3.4, which I'm getting finished up now, has some inventory improvements as well, you can now edit all your inventory levels on one page. I've also added more hooks and design flexibility into the layout.

So that's my 2 cents, of course I'm always going to think my solution is the way to go... :) let me know if there is anything specific that I can help with or if you do want to see a beta.

And... Brett's solution for inventory would be the way to go. Gets a lot more complicated if you have variations.