Subscription Questions

vossavantvossavant Member
in Help edited October 2011
Hi FoxyFolks,

I'm familiar with your stuff, but it's been a while since I've done advanced programming.
    [li]Is it possible to let the customer choose a subscription type (monthly, annually, etc) at the end of a free trial, or must this be done at the initial sign up?[/li]
    [li]Just for peace of mind, it *is* possible to build out an admin area that lets customers manage subscriptions, right? What I have in mind is making a customer dashboard where customers and our client (acting as admin) can manage subscriptions without having to log into foxycart.com.[/li]
    [li]Ok, so it was just a *couple* of questions...[/li]

The site isn't up yet, so it's safe to assume we'd use the latest version of FC.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Comments
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Hi Ryan,

You could definitely do what you are asking about with the API (http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/0.7.1/advanced/api). You'll store the sub_token with the user's account and then you (or they) can change the term. Changing the amount is a little more complicated because you'd have to submit a new template but it looks like that info and a sample XSD file is included in the API docs. So I think it's all possible....

David
  • Awesome, thanks for the fast response.

I apologize if you addressed this in your answer, but I'm still unclear -- is it possible to let a customer sign up for a free trial without picking a term, and then have them choose a term (monthly, etc) once the free trial is up? I'm guessing not, but would love a confirmation.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Well, it wouldn't really be a subscription if it didn't have a term so I think it has to have one. They could just sign up for an account on your end, but would then have to do the whole checkout process when they wanted to activate their subscription.
  • That's a good point. Can I use the "It must be a Monday" excuse on a Friday?

So it's as I thought -- have the customer pick a term and they get the free trial, and we can possibly build something to let them re-evaluate at the end of the free trial period. Thanks :)