Disable shopping cart temporarily

intandemintandem Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited October 2011
I have a client who is currently overwhelmed with orders and wants to close their shop for a two weeks. Is there a way to do this through the FoxyCart backend? I am placing a holding page on the site but would like to keep the rest of the site open so that visitors can still browse through the products. However, if there is no easy way to do it then we'll just leave it at the holding page.

Thanks!
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I suggest wiping out your cart and checkout templates and replace them with a message saying the store will be down for a period of time.

I guess we should apologize for making your client so successful. :)

Good problem to have, anyway.
  • This would be a nice feature to have as a "toggle" - meaning, some simple checkbox to "Temporarily Disable Checkouts/Orders" which would then switch over to the "wiped" cart/checkout templates with the "downtime" message, but then upon reactivating the store (or unchecking the disable box), it would easily switch back to the original templates. That would prevent anyone with a large amount of customization in their templates to need to copy them down or fear of making a mistake when re-adding the original content. :)
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @RodeoRamsey,

A toggle would definitely make the process quick, but in terms of having customised templates or messages for an offline cart, it's quite easy to do now without fear of loosing customisations. If you have your current template as a file on your server that your caching, you'd simply upload another template and cache that one instead. Then when the store is back online, you just recache the proper template to get everything back running again. Make sense?