Paypal with Guest Checkout - Customer Not Happy

intandemintandem Member
in General edited November 2011
One of my clients has a MODX/Foxycart installation with checkout happening via Paypal.

She received this email from a customer today:
Why do you need to know my billing address if I'm checking out using PayPal? PayPal sends you the money and my delivery address details. Giving your site my personal details seems excessive in this case. This is very disappointing.

And then a second email from the same person:
As it turns out I also have to give you a shipping address. What’s the point of checking out as GUEST when I have to give you all my personal details (except Credit Card)? Sony couldn’t protect my details so I have little faith you can either. I was gonna recommend your site but until you fix the OBVIOUS security problem.

Is there anything I should have set up differently? Does the customer have a reasonable case? My client is not impressed by the person's agressive tone and wants to cancel their order anyway, but from a general point of view is there anything I should be doing differently with the set-up? This is the first time this kind of query has arisen.

Thanks for your help!
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hmm... Can you whisper the store URL? We'll take a look. What PayPal (and FoxyCart) require can depend on what products are in the cart (ie. shippable product, downloadable, etc.).

I can see where the customer is coming from, but PayPal shares that data _anyway_, so I think perhaps the customer is confused. There's a specific way that PayPal Express Checkout integrates, so depending on the situation there may not be anything we can do, but I agree that the customer's attitude leaves a little to be desired.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    The customer address information is accessible anyway via the PayPal API so I'm not sure the customer fully understands the implications of what's going on. We're not storing any payment information at all when it comes to PayPal Express checkouts.