Some basic setup questions:

dmolanphydmolanphy Member
in Help edited August 2008
K. These are ALL newbie questions, but hopefully someone can clarify?

1. Is it possible to not use foxyBox for the cart? I would rather have the cart show up on a normal page instead of the "lightbox."

2. Whenever I cache my URL and preview it in FoxyCart, it seems to work - however, when I go directly to the url, I only see ^^cart^^ or ^^checkout^^. Any ideas why?

3. On the cart, for some reason the X doesn't delete the item from the cart for me. And whenever I click update cart, it doesn't do anything either.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey dmolanphy, can you give us a URL to take a look at?

1) Yea, it's possible but not currently simple. http://www.getcellranger.com/ is doing it.

2) Going directly to that URL is not what you want to do. That page is only for creating your checkout template on foxycart. On your website, you want to include the foxycart javascript files and create your add to cart links on other pages. At least, I think that's what you're asking... hard to tell without a URL.

3) This probably has something to do with how you're loading up the cart. Again, a URL would probably help figure out what's going on.

Please let me know if that helps.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    woops... looks like getcellranger isn't using that method anymore. Talk to Brett and he might be able to get you some example code.
  • Hi Luke:

Thank you for your response. The url that I'm trying to set up is www.kitchennut.com and am really at a loss as to why I can't figure this out. These are the steps I have taken:

- I've got a domain (www.kitchennut.com) and Brett suggested I keep the cart portion in a subdomain, so I set up store.kitchennut.com.
    - I have gone through the remote domain setup and paid for the SSL certificate. I'm not sure how long that takes to pull through, so that might be the issue. I have not received any notice on whether or not it has been set up.
    - On kitchennut.com, I have an ordering page (www.kitchennut.com/order). There I have placed the sample link and form.
    - On store.kitchennut.com I have set up two pages. index.php (which has the ^^cart^^ code in it), and checkout.php (which has ^^checkout^^ in it). Both of these pages have the CSS links posted on the WIKI with the domain changed to kitchennut.
    - Now, when I go to www.kitchennut.com/order and click on a link, my browser either gives me an SSL certificate warning (saying that ths certificate currently points to *.foxycart.com) or crashes altogether. (I'm on Safari, but have experienced the same issue on Firefox)
    - However....If I set up cart and checkout using the default templates for foxycart and go through the order page, I still get the SSL warning on Safari, but the cart seems to work perfectly (albeit...without any visuals and just having the default FoxyCart template).
    - Finally, if I point my browser to store.kitchennut.com, I get the foxycart.com homepage (is this normal and will it remain that way)?

I know I'm probably missing something here, but I'm hoping you guys can help a lost (and beaten down) soul here. Okay, that's a bit dramatic, but you catch my drift. I'm usually pretty saavy with front-end development, but this one's proving a bit challenging for me so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Finally...do you guys do customizations? I *need this cart implemented asap and if I could get someone to help me put it together that would be swell (and hopefully I can afford it).

THank you much, and I eagerly await any advice.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Have you gone through the "how to setup your site" wiki page? http://wiki.foxycart.com/getting_started:site_setup
    Also, in the admin, there's a section on sample code. The first thing that is absolutely required is adding the foxycart javascript files to your header. Without those, nothing will work. Your order page (and all pages you want to use the cart on) need to have those includes. After you put those in, we can revisit and see what's going on. The cart.php and checkout.php pages shouldn't be accessed by your users, they should only be used in the admin for pulling in your site design for your cart and checkout templates.

We're working on a FoxyCart Developer's Network concept which will eventually let you post project opportunities.
  • Hey Luke:

Yeah, I've read and watched the wiki, forums, etc. Perhaps I've got an idea in my head that is just not possible with FoxyCart yet. I'll keep messing around with it. I have asked a friend who is more familiar with back-end stuff to take a peak. Perhaps he will figure out the error of my ways.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Ok yeah, I think we're slightly not on the same page here.

1. It's actually super easy to not use the "foxybox" (Thickbox). Luke was thinking you wanted to do something more complicated, but basically all you'll need to do is set up your links or forms normally but _don't_ put the "foxycart" class on them. Then they'll go straight to the cart, as a new page.

To set up your cart, check the http://wiki.foxycart.com/screencasts (probably the second and third links). That'll give you a quick overview of how to cache your cart and checkout pages.

2. This is probably where there's a fundamental miscommunication/misunderstanding. You set up your static template pages on your site, then tell FoxyCart where they are so FoxyCart can cache them on the FoxyCart servers. This keeps things all nice and secure, and makes it so you don't have to mess with learning a new template language or installing SSL certs or etc. (Also, done this way, you don't really have to worry about PCI compliance as much, since FoxyCart is a 3rd party, external checkout system.)

So if you pull up your template files on your site, you'll see your templates, with the ^^placeholders^^. You only use those pages to tell FoxyCart what to do with your cart and checkout (and optionally the receipt) templates. If you cache your cart template, then add something to your cart (you can use a link like (your domain)/cart?name=testing&price=9.99 to quickly test things out), you should see your template with the ^^cart^^ placeholder replaced with your actual cart.

3. Yeah, a URL would be great. Possibly a javascript conflict (though we haven't seen that before) or something totally bizarre.

Does all that make sense?
  • dmolanphydmolanphy Member
    edited August 2008
    Hey Brett:

Thanks for looking into this. I feel like I'm **THIS** close, but not quite there yet.

1. Awesome! I was hoping it would be that simple.

2. Okay, I think you nailed it here. I understood the whole concept behind caching the pages, but where I was getting mixed up was on where the "templates" resided originally. I kept trying to put them in store.kitchennut.com so whenever I tried caching it, I kept getting a 404 error (and of course, now It just clicked why -- the CNAME is redirecting it to your servers and not mine). Duh. (Always hate it when it's that obvious and yet...it escapes me).

So...I have uploaded the template pages to a different url and cached the pages again (seems to be working now). Now, on my order page, when I try adding something to the cart, everything is redirecting the way it should, but I'm getting this error: "kitchennut is currently not setup. Please ensure that the store is fully configured (shipping, categories, and templates). If that doesn't solve the problem, make sure that you are calling this script with the same subdomain as you have set in your store settings. If you still have problems you can get help at http://forum.foxycart.com/.. Please check your store settings." - I'm not sure why I'm getting the error as I feel I have gone through all settings.

3. Okay, so I click OKAY and continue onto the cart, where the item has been added correctly. Now, if I click on the X (to delete a cart item), I'm getting the following JS error:
    Can't find server UNDEFINED
    https://undefined/cart.php?cart=get&noCacheIE=1219867311557&PHPSESSID=ghi4m4b406l1iv3bl34l62rc67

This JS error may be related to that first alert I get. Might this be the SSL certificate perhaps?
    Can you whisper me a URL with an add-to-cart link/form?

#2: Are you sure you're using the same domain on all ends? You can use your custom subdomain (provided the CNAME is set correctly on your end), but it's got to be set the same way in your FoxyCart admin. Not sure that's the problem, but double check. Send me a link so I can take a look.

#3: Probably related to #2.

The SSL shouldn't affect the JS. You should be getting something related to the SSL cert soon though, so we can get that sorted out.
    Hmmm... that's very strange indeed... I'm not seeing a javascript error in Firebug or Web Inspector (Safari). I'm actually not seeing much of anything at all in Firebug, but I do see the https://undefined/cart.php? in Safari's Activity window...

Can you try removing the rollover javascript and re-caching? I don't think that's the issue but give it a go and let me know. Totally strange behavior.
  • Okay, here's what I did:
    - deleted cached images
    - commented out rollover.js code
    - re-cached pages

The problem is still showing up with the undefined url. I'll turn the JS back on since this is the live site, but I won't re-cache the cart/checkout pages, so they should still show up without the JS.
  • I just received an email stating that the certificate order has been received, but not yet issued. So looks like there is some progress on that front.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited August 2008
    Just did a view source on your checkout page and noticed this:
    <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
    /* <![CDATA[ */
    /* Pulled from _http://www.kitchennut.com/cart/assets/js/multiship.jquery.js */

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-\/\/IETF\/\/DTD HTML 2.0\/\/EN">
    <html><head>
    <title>404 Not Found<\\/title>
    <\\/head><body>
    <h1>Not Found<\\/h1>
    <p>The requested URL /cart/assets/js/multiship.jquery.js was not found on this server.<\\/p>
    <hr>
    <address>Apache/2.0.54 Server at www.kitchennut.com Port 80<\\/address>
    <\\/body><\\/html>

/* ]]> */
    </script>

and this...
    <style type="text/css" media="screen">
    /* <![CDATA[ */
    /* Pulled from _http://www.kitchennut.com/assets/css/foxy_cart_override.css */
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
    <html><head>
    <title>404 Not Found<\\/title>
    <\\/head><body>
    <h1>Not Found<\\/h1>
    <p>The requested URL /assets/css/foxy_cart_override.css was not found on this server.<\\/p>
    <hr>
    <address>Apache/2.0.54 Server at www.kitchennut.com Port 80<\\/address>
    <\\/body><\\/html>

/* ]]> */
    </style>

That first one is definitely a problem. I'm not too familiar with doing things directly as a separate cart page. Actually... I'm not really a fan of it to begin with since I don't like having to load up an entire page just to add something to the cart. It's kind of why we built FoxyCart in the first place. With other online stores, I always felt like I was walking up to the checkout counter to tell them what I put in my basket every time I picked something off the shelf. Anyway... our system should be flexible to do either one.

We probably need to add some checking in our caching system to check the response code before trying to parse the css file.

Try fixing that URL or removing it and let us know if that works.
  • Luke:

You're absolutely right. I think I'm making things more complicated than they need to be with trying to have a separate cart page.

So...I have fixed the two 404s. The first was only in there per the instructions on this page: http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration:foxycart:multiship_javascript
    Does multi-ship work without this piece of code then?

And the second was a simple css override for displaying cart information on all pages but is not important so I removed it.

I have got the cart and checkout pieces working now and am just trying to style them to fit the design a little better. The SSL issue is still unresolved however - but my guess is that this will happen when it happens.

Thank you (and Brett) for your help. I will let you know how it goes.
    Nice spot, Luke. Dang, I must have been really tired to have missed that.

@dmolanphy:
    The multiship js isn't necessarily required, but it's provided to make your multiship implementation a bit easier. It doesn't need to be loaded on the cart or checkout though.

The issue seems to be with the path. The file was there, but it was trying to pull it from http://www.kitchennut.com/cart/assets/js/multiship.jquery.js, which has the /cart/ in there and is not necessary. My hunch is that the path was wrong in your template and FoxyCart cached it correctly (though it was incorrect to begin with), but if that's not the case please let me know, as it'd be a bug in our automagicache. (I can't check at this point because you've removed it from the template, as you mentioned above.) (It doesn't need to be on the cart anyway though.)

Your site is gorgeous, in any case. It's fun to look at.
    SSL will happen when it happens, indeed. Keep an eye on your inbox for requests to verify the domain ownership and such.
  • Well, it looks like I'm almost there! Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how this ends up. I have to say that since moving to the standart cart implementation (foxyBox), the process has been much simpler - and will be much better for the user too (thanks for pointing that out).
  • Woot! I got an email confirming the SSL certificate. Do I need to take any additional steps now?
  • Hmmm... more weirdness:

1. At some point yesterday, the SSL certificate seemed to be working automagically. I tried it on a number of browsers and the security warnings did not show up (in fact, I turned on all warnings on Firefox and it said the site had identified itself correctly). Today...I'm getting all the warnings again saying that the SSL certificate is pointing to *.foxycart.com instead of kitchennut.

2. Yesterday as I was playing around with it, I was able to place 4 or 5 fake orders (using the FoxyCart PayPal sandbox settings). Everything was smooth sailing, but I did notice one major issue: As I added things to the cart, the total $ amount would be accurate, but Qty. was all over the place. (i.e. I would type in 3, click on Add To Cart, and the foxyBox would appear. However, QTY would say 1, but the price would calculate all 3. Then..if I replaced the 1 with a different number, the quantity would start working, but then it would add a NEW Qty. bullet in the detail information. So when the order got placed, the receipt would have two or three Qty. bullets (and in one order I got the X, Y coordinates of the submit button). Not sure if that all makes sense, but let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Your form field says "qty". Where did you get that from? Our documentation mentions "quantity", not qty.
  • dmolanphydmolanphy Member
    edited August 2008
    huh. I don't have the slightest idea but I do feel stupid. Sorry. Changed to quantity and working like a charm. I seriously have NO clue where qty came from.

- Any ideas on the X, Y coordinates being passed? I know the reason is because of my submit image button, but is there a way to omit those in the output?

- Any ideas on the SSL certificate?

Thanks.
  • Okay....just re-cached all of my pages and everything seems to be back to normal.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I've seen that before on the image submit button. I think if you use the cart exclude prefix (x:) as the submit button name, that might get rid of the problem. Either that, or you can submit the form via some javascript.
  • Hey guys...

sorry to pester, but the SSL thing keeps going off and on (it's off now). I've tried the usual (delete cache and re-cache all pages) but I NEED to get this figured out by tomorrow as the store is supposed to launch! If it's easier to chat over the phone, I can whisper you my cell #. Much appreciated.
  • Some more info:

I'm getting SSL errors on the following browsers: IE 6, IE7, FF3 for PC, Safari 3 for Mac. HOWEVER...I get no errors on FF3 for Mac. I have cleared cache, cookies, session data, and history on all browsers. I have also checked on three different machines - one of which has never been pointed to the site at all - and the SSL errors occur. It makes no sense to me that FF for Mac works flawlessly when all other browsers don't - but that's the case. Giving up for the night (or early morning really - 2:30a where I'm at), but I urgently need this sorted out asap. If there's anything you can suggest, I'm all ears!

Thanks - dm
    edited September 2008
    SSL is handled over email. It won't work until the cert's been issued (which it was) and it's been set up and configured on our servers (which it wasn't).

It should be fine now though. Give it a whirl.

PS: I want a macaroon ;)
  • Sweet. You guys deserve some macaroons! Send me your shipping address and I'll make it happen. :)