UK Payment Gateway

jamiegrindjamiegrind Member
in General edited August 2008
Hi there
I would like to start using FoxyCart but it seems the only payment gateway currently available is CyberSource and the monthly fee I got quoted of £40 seems a bit steep, along with a £125 activation fee... I have seen much cheaper options available - am I right in thinking this is the only route to go down for a UK FoxyCart user?

Thanks in advance!
Comments
  • Hi there
    I would like to start using FoxyCart but it seems the only payment gateway currently available is CyberSource and the monthly fee I got quoted of £40 seems a bit steep, along with a £125 activation fee... I have seen much cheaper options available - am I right in thinking this is the only route to go down for a UK FoxyCart user?

Thanks in advance!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We also support Paypal UK... sorry for not updating the home page with that information. We've had some trouble testing everything in Paypal UK since we don't have a live paypal uk account, but I think there are some users out there who have gotten it working.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited August 2008
    Luke beat me to it but here's my post anyway:

We also support PayPal Website Payments Pro UK (aka "Pro" aka "Payflow" aka who knows?).

We have a friendly contact at CyberSource, however, that may be able to get you better rates as a FoxyCart user. I'll whisper you her info.

If there's another gateway you'd like to see support for please let us know:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/feature_requests
  • Thanks for the replies guys.

I've actually found a great payment gateway today called PayPoint (http://www.paypoint.net)

They only charge £10 a month and its a £50 set-up fee. Seems to be the cheapest around and looks really easy to use.

Is this something you'd consider integrating to your platform?

Thanks!
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    We'd definitely consider it. We have a few others that will likely get done first (Secpay and Protx?), but if you could add that gateway to http://wiki.foxycart.com/feature_requests it'd be _great_!

(And vote for it after you add it, of course ;)
  • AdamWintleAdamWintle Member
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, I use PayPoint to pay my rent and my electric bills - I think they started as a topup card service that utility companies, like gas and electric could let you pay your account in a store.

I didn't realise they were moving into the online and eCommerce market - offering PayPoint as a payment gateway would attract a different type of merchant - more public sector, like post offices and local water boards could potentially use FoxyCart...

See this search for the kind of things i mean: http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=paypoint top up card&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

jamiegrind - I've successfully integrated PayPal Pro UK into FoxyCart - it works well and their fees are reasonable.
  • Paypoint seem to have acquired Secpay, which is the gateway I've been using on a few sites for a number of years. It's got an excellent api and documentation, and I found it straightforward to integrate with my current cart via SOAP. The prices have always been amongst the most competitive in the UK.

I would love to see this integrated with Foxycart and it would be very likely to tempt me to the Foxycart platform for future sites.
  • AdamWintleAdamWintle Member
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I'm quite impresses with PayPoint and I didn't know they'd acquired Secpay - PayPal's customer service was abysmal and trying to get through to an engineer who actually knew anything about their products and services was impossible - I'd be interested in running some PayPoint tests to see if they're more efficient as a UK payment gateway.

Also to do a quick comparison:

Here's PayPoint's pricing options next to PayPal UK's
    paypoint.pngpaypal.png

If for example a store took 200 orders at £10 each totally £2,000 a month - for PayPal UK you'd be in their second band of pricing with a 2.9% +20p fee per transaction, totally at £60.20 and then if this were after 1st Jan '09 an extra £20/month - so £80.20.

The same example for a PayPoint store which takes 200 orders - on their first pricing option you'd get the first 100 orders for free and then be charged 39p for each transaction thereafter, totally at £39; plus the additional £10 flat fee - so £49.

If you use PayPoints second price option you get an ever sweeter deal - all of your 200 orders would be free so you'd only pay the £20 flat fee.
    The main difference is being charged based on the total value of your monthly sales or based on the number of transactions, regardless of its value.
  • PayPoint has a lot of business and government organisations using their service - take for example my local city council, they use a Rent Payment card which uses the PayPoint Gateway:
    paypoint2.png
    paypoint3.png
    Unfortunately I have to go into a store and pay my rent over the counter, my city's local council is quite behind the times - they could however setup a website using the PayPoint gateway and a service such as FoxyCart to process their payments - also allowing me to check my rent's statement online, etc

With PayPoint's cheap online payment options and a good marketing strategy to those government organisations is another sector of business that could be tapped into...

hmm well those are my thoughts, PayPoint seems good.