default category over-riding the individual category selections

RMRM Member
in Help edited September 2008
Good morning--

I am having difficulty that the individual category selections are being over-selected by the default category. We have checked javascript, and the category names are matching the appropriate products. Currently, I have two products; each product is in its own category.

On one product (category CCDCM), the category discount type is "discount by an amount based on qty," then below, "1-0|11-1|51-2|101-3". Shipped using live weights; the weight is .750 lbs.

On the second product (category PCDCM), the category discount type is "discount by an amount based on qty," then below, "1-0|6-1|21-2|51-3". Shipped using live weights; the weight is 1.000 lbs.

In default category: if I leave the above fields blank, then the discounts based on qty do not work. If I leave the weight blank, I get no shipping costs. If I put a weight in, it chooses the default rate over the category weights. If I put a discount based on qty, it chooses that discount over the category discounts.

Any suggestions? (Thanks---it's theoretically the last thing holding us up from going live right now). :D
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Can you provide a link to your order page? Just want to make sure the category codes are being sent properly when the item is added to the cart. Thanks also for your detailed post, that's very helpful when debugging these issues. We'll look into it and get back to you later today.
  • Yes, thank you very much! It is kitchennut.com/order
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey RM. I might be missing something here... but where are you specifying the category when you add the products to your cart?

[ulist]
    [li]category: Category identifier for the product. This will default to the default category if left blank.[/li]
    [/ulist]
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/getting_started:adding_links_and_forms

If you specify the category you want for the product you want, it should work as expected. Since we don't maintain an inventory on FoxyCart (the no duplication of data concept) there's no way for our system to know what category your product should be in unless you specify a category. From the looks of it, you're trying to use a product code as a category code, but they are two different things. Along those same lines, if you're doing individual discounts per product, then you don't need category discounts, you can specify what you want as a line item discount directly when you add the product to the cart.

Hope that helps.
  • Ahhhh..yes. I was confusing code with category. Works like a charm. Thanks Luke. RM will be happy this is worked out. :)
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    No prob, dmolanphy.

We'll bill you our insane, outrageously high hourly support rate later.

Oh wait... we don't offer support. Nevermind. :)

Do people get offended when we joke around in our forum? I hope not.

Glad you got it working and even gladder to hear your client is happy.