PayPal Express Only?

Hi,

I just completed a site for a client only to learn that PayPal declined her application for PayPal Websites Pro because of a lack of credit history.

We'd like to get this site to accept some kind of payment ASAP while we sort out a final gateway. PayPal Express/Standard seemed like the way to go. But can you use PayPal Express as a standalone payment method?

Right now, it still has "Checkout with PayPal" or "Continue to Checkout" in the cart popup. If you click "Continue to Checkout", land on the checkout page, fill out the info and select "confirm your order", nothing happens. Even worse, the checkout page says "No payment needed" above the "Confirm Your Order".

So, two questions: 1. Can PayPal Express be used as an exclusive payment method and 2.) What FoxyCart gateway has the highest probability of accepting my client?

Thanks much!

Colin
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    Hey Colin,

You can use PayPal Express as the only payment method, and people can be either redirected to the PayPal payment page from either the cart or the checkout.

Could you let us know your FoxyCart store domain is? You should require payment if there is products in the cart.

As for gateways, we have a growing selection to choose from here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    Colin,

PayPal Payments Standard can be used an exclusive method; however, it will still require users to leave the FoxyCart checkout page to complete the transaction. If you mean can Express / Standard be used entirely within the FoxyCart checkout flow, then the answer to that question is no.

As for another solution for your client, it is impossible to say what merchant bank is most likely to authorize an account. A lack of credit history could be problematic for many merchant account providers. FoxyCart has been recommending Total Apps (http://www.total-apps.com/user_ref645/spages/applynow645.htm). While I've never used them personally, I've heard great things about their flexibility from @Brett. That said, nothing is certain.

Can you provide a link to the site in question so I can see the issue you are describing with the "no payment needed" display? You can Whisper it if you want to keep the URL private.

Best,
    Lance
  • Don't know why this message keeps being posted automatically. Thanks for gateway advice. I'll research with my client to find a long term alternative to our temporary PayPal Express-only gateway.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Colin, if you are using FoxyCart 0.7.2 you might also look at http://stripe.com as a stopgap measure.
    Colin,

Thanks for whispering over the link. It appears that you are loading jquery multiple times (in multiple different versions) on the checkout page. This is likely creating the problem. None of the jquery features of the checkout are working correctly. The no payment needed message is usually hidden by jQuery, and the Confirm Your Order button requires it, as well, to work correctly.

jquery is automatically loaded by FoxyCart on the Checkout and Cart pages so you must not include a jquery load in either your cart of checkout templates. This is a common issue for many people setting up their first (or even second, third, etc) store - I've made this mistake myself before. Make sure that on your cart and checkout templates you are not loading any of the FoxyCart headers that you would load on the rest of your site. Only your custom JS and CSS needs to be loaded on the cart and checkout pages.

For general code hygiene, you should also check that you are loading jquery only once on the rest of your site. It looks like your pages are loading both 1.6.2 and 1.6.4. If you're not relying heavily on jquery you might not notice a problem, but in the interest of best practice, you should look into cleaning this up a bit.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have other questions.

Lance
  • Hi Lance,

Thanks for the notice about my multiple jquery loads. I removed all jquery loads from the checkout template and I'm still getting the error.

I also tested commenting out all scripts to see which ones were essential. It looks like the template requires moo tools to display correctly. Could the "no payment needed" be a conflict issue?

Thanks!
    edited January 2012
    Colin,

Yes, I can see the jquery load issue has been corrected, but here's something I hadn't noticed before... Try removing the <base> tag from the checkout template. It seems that is preventing the FoxyCart Checkout JS from loading correctly, as I am seeing errors that the FC object can't be found, which will definitely cause a problem.

If you are loading things from the remote server that were relying on that base tag, you may need to define absolute URLs to those in the checkout template.

Lance
    Colin (in response to whisper),

It looks now like you may have switched over to the text-only cart template. Is that just for testing?

You will want to use the automagicache since you have a lot of js and css that the template relies on. When you cached this in the Admin panel, did everything seem to work? On the page with only the background image, did the source code look OK?

Is the checkout template you whispered to me a flat-file or is that being generated by your CMS?

Lance
  • Hi Lance,

Sorry about that. I've been switching things around, testing different checkout options to examine the source code. I've restored the checkout page to the version cached from the URL I sent you. That is indeed a flat file.

The source code looks good to me. It seems to be caching all of the js and css required. If you could take a peek and let me know if anything jumps out at you, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

Colin
  • Lance,

I deconstructed my source code and managed to get the checkout page to work. I think my template used JS to animate the loading of the main content area. I just went through div-by-div in order to get a slightly stripped down version that maintains the same look of my site.

My client asked me to hide the normal checkout button until we finalize our non-PayPal Express gateway, so nothing to see just yet.

Thanks for helping me to pull back and think about the larger source code picture on this one!