VAT validation for EUROPE

bobstolkbobstolk Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited January 2012
Hi Guys,

I have a taxes related question regarding the implementation of FoxyCart.

I am living in The Netherlands and sell services throughout the entire world meaning that we have to charge VAT in some countries while none in others. And in Europe I need to charge 19% VAT to private buyers while not to companies when they have a valid VAT number.
Is it currently possible to validate vat numbers? I am pretty sure its not. But the big question is can it be made? I am willing to pay if somebody can create this. A box should be added where the VAT validation should take place, if the VAT number is valid the VAT can be deducted.

It is also explained here: http://chargify.com/features/sales-tax/

Thanks.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey bobstolk. Have you take a look at these snippets? http://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/start#tax_tips_and_tricks Other than setting up your taxes as products, I'm not sure what options you have. One option you may want to look into is asking for the VAT number during the add-to-cart process and then using Single Sign On, your server could validate the number and then fire off some JSONP to modify the cart contents accordingly. Would that work for you?
  • Hey Luke,

Thanks for the information, I've asked a developer to help and he told me it is possible to create. No idea how yet, will discuss soon. Hope it works because like FoxyCart and prefer it over other eCommerce platforms.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Please let your developer know we're here to help if they have any questions.
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    @bobstolk -

Just to add a little something to this discussion, we didn't do this exact thing before, but we have added custom fields to checkout to allow customers to add in tax ID numbers and we have done some rudimentary validation on those numbers - mainly to verify that they are the right length and start with the right sequence of digits. We used that validation to modify other parts of the order on the checkout page. It was a little hacky, but it worked, so I suspect you'll be able to find a solution to this problem with your developer. As @luke said, feel free to post again - or have your developer post- if other questions come up.

Lance
  • Sounds great guys, so it should be possible. I will let you know if it works correctly after it's finished. For European businesses this is a very useful tool, and not a lot of eCommerce platforms offer this.
    Lance do you know if that store is up and running somewhere on the web? So I can have a look at it.
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    @bobstolk -

I knew that question was coming. Unfortunately, that site is no longer up and running. I'll see if I can track down any of the code that we used, though. I might have something useful sitting around.

Lance