Dwolla?

Hi Guys - just stumbled across this payment system and my curiousity was piqued - anyone know anything about it?

https://www.dwolla.com/

Is it the kind of thing that could be used with foxycart?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We've looked into it and it definitely sounds exciting, but we don't have any requests for it yet from our users. Can you vote for it here? http://requests.foxycart.com/forums/4163-payment-gateways We love the idea of supporting alternate payment methods.
  • Done - it's an interesting looking platform. I'm curious how they deal with things like security, etc. From what I can make out about it right now, it seems like it might be ideal for charging customers that you trust and don't have to worry about chargebacks, etc. Pretty innovative stuff though, or at least it seems so to me. Thanks for looking into it!

-JA
  • I would like this too. Visa and AmEx take too much money. 2-3.5% per transaction? Really? They don't do anything to deserve that much cash. Dwolla has the right idea.
  • furthermore, dwolla is a tech upstart dying to get their name out. hell they would probably do all the coding for you to make it compatible with foxycart
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Dwolla is a great idea. I love the concept, but it would have to have huge adoption to make it a realistic platform in any sort of widespread e-commerce solution. Who's going to sign up for yet another thing when it's so easy to punch in the credit card number you probably already have memorized. Convenience wins every time.

I think the niche market with existing customers (or special customers where you can dictate the payment method) is the real place where Dwolla could be used now. And for that, I think FoxyCart would be the perfect platform, so hopefully they continue to grow and Foxy builds an integration. The big players need some competition and that is the thing that will really help consumers.
  • @sparkweb - yeah that's sort of what I was thinking too. For our business it might work well, since we're low volume but have a lot of repeat customers who go back years so we don't need to worry about fraud, etc.

Our major problem is that our customers tend not to be "early adopter" types so it might be tricky convincing them to sign up for a service like Dwolla. Still, I think it would be interesting to see this get some traction, especially since the cc companies take such a large chunk for so minimal value added.
  • it would be easy to get people convert. a CC company takes 3-4% of the price. so there would be an option where if someone with dwolla buys, it's automatically cheaper, say $4-5 on a hundred dollar purchase. do that for 6-12 months and many people will signup
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    That's a good recommendation @crumbs. Though that might be a little tricky from a FoxyCart customization perspective!

I run a service where people are trading small items and pay a nominal fee on every trade. Currently I use PayPal micropayments so it isn't too expensive but since Dwolla is free under $10 there wouldn't be ANY fees. But the barrier of asking everyone to sign up on a new service (and the signup is not that easy or intuitive I think) is pretty significant.