Storing custom field entries

kscotbarrkscotbarr Member
in Help edited September 2008
Is it possible to store information entered into a custom form field in the checkout form and auto-populate this field when a customer visits the next time? (This is the same functionality as what FoxyCart already does with the name/address/CC info etc. in the checkout form).
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    No, we don't support that out of the box, but it's an interesting question. It would probably be difficult to do it right since each company would have completely different needs, but it just might be possible to return the data after they authenticate.

If it's something you need, please add it to this wiki page and vote for it: http://wiki.foxycart.com/feature_requests
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Definitely interesting question. We've discussed the possibilities of allowing extra customer information to be stored like that, but it gets problematic.

Out of curiosity, could you explain what you'd be looking to do with this functionality?
  • Our organization is a non-profit. Each donor is assigned a donor number. When our gift-entry team processes entries it makes if much easier on them if they have this number available, rather than trying to match the gift via name/address or another field that might change or have duplicates.

If we store this data it would be more likely that donations would come in with the donor number included.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    kscotbarr, can you have your donors use a link you provide for their next gift? If so, you can add the donor number using session variables: http://wiki.foxycart.com/getting_started:adding_links_and_forms#session_attributes

Are you integrating with an existing system? If so, I'd recommend integrating with the XML datafeed to track your gifts. You could then build a simple login system on your site that your donors could use to make their next gift with the donor id already intact.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    To followup: The trick is where the number gets generated in the first place. It sounds like the number is assigned by your org, so if you were to attach it to a specific FoxyCart user record (if we offered that functionality), you're still attaching a known value on your end to a known value on your end.

Not to say it wouldn't be cool, but if you know the number on your end, tied to a user on your end, you should probably keep it on your end rather than adding complication to the checkout.

(That said, I do think that extending the FoxyCart user records would be cool, but we're just not sure it'd ever really be a necessity.)

Are you using DonorPerfect, by chance? I ask because there are a handful of non-profits that I help out that will be doing some FoxyCart + DonorPerfect stuff in the coming months.