The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

"Add Coupon" No Longer Appears in Cart Colorbox

jodycollierjodycollier Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited February 2012
Guys-

This is odd... I tested this just a few weeks ago, and everything was working fine.

Now, suddenly, the "Add Coupon" field/link has just disappeared from my cart "color box". I don't think I made any changes to the code that would lead to this. I only added some tracking information here and there.

Any ideas? http://welding-tv.com/weldmonger-welding-dvds/
Tagged:
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    HEy Jody. It looks like you configured your coupon code to only have one use allowed. Since that code has already been used, your store has no valid coupon codes for your customer to enter, so that link is not shown to them. We do this for a number of reasons, but the main one being we want to lower abandonment rate where someone sees the option for a coupon and then leaves your site to go search for valid coupon codes... sometimes never returning.
  • Oh... I thought that specification was one use PER CUSTOMER, not a global total. Thanks for the clarification, but I guess that raises another question...

Can I restrict uses per customer?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Not currently. What you can do is set it to one use for each code and then ensure each customer gets a unique code.

As for restricting use per customer, we're still working through what the best user experience would be. Do we validate a customer purely based on email address or should we check the payment card? Would setting a cookie in the browser be enough? Also, when someone adds a coupon to the cart we don't, at that time, know who they are. Once they login to the checkout would we then show them a warning message and remove the discount? That seems like a pretty negative experience. We're open to any suggestions you have. We'll definitely be tackling that in a future version, once we figure out exactly what it is we want to build.
  • I believe a cookie is enough, as the average user doesn't even know what a "cookie" is, much less how to clear cookies from a browser. And I don't view that as taking advantage of a customer's ignorance - I view that as a reasonable measure for avoiding exorbitant profit losses, based on a "one use per customer" restriction that is made apparent in the offer.

There is no perfect answer, but I believe a cookie is the "lesser of the evils".

Thanks for your help.