6 hour EWAY downtime heads-up for March 19th

We've just received an email from EWAY.. I can't believe the extent of this outage!!

We are running EWAY + PayPal. I wonder, does Foxycart automatically shut off
gateways in these circumstances, or would we need to go into the account and
manually disable EWAY ourselves?

Thanks.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

(EWAY Australia contacts, timezones, etc..)

System Maintenance Notification
eWAY would like to advise you of an upcoming scheduled infrastructure upgrade to the banking connections required to process your online payments.
System Impacts
During the maintenance window there will be a complete outage for transaction processing. No payments will be able to be processed successfully during this period. Any payments processed will receive a failed transaction result.
Maintenance Window
The outage is scheduled for 6 hours on Monday March 19th 2012, from 12:00 AM - 6:00 AM AEDT.
What do I need to do?
All scheduled payments such as Recurring and Batch will be delayed until after the maintenance window. We would recommend alerting any customers that may be affected by this outage.
If you have any questions, we are here to help you on 1800 10 65 65.

Kind Regards,

eWAY Customer Care Team
payments made easy!
FREE Call: 1800 10 65 65
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @frontier,

Thanks for posting, very much appreciated.

We don't disable gateways generally when they have scheduled maintenance windows, as usually as in the case the gateways email all of their clients to let them take whatever action is required for their individual store.

So depending on your target audience, you could disable the gateway temporarily to force people through PayPal, or you could add a note to your checkout template to say that credit card payments will be temporarily offline for the window mentioned and that PayPal is the suggested payment method for that time.

Worth noting as well, while they have specified a 6 hour window, often times the actual required time is much shorter than estimated and so the gateway could be back in action well before that time.