The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

PayPal and Handling Charges

jodycollierjodycollier Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited March 2012
Fellows-

I've got an issue that I think may be turning off more customers than I even realize. A few potential customers have emailed me about it...

When a customer elects to checkout through PayPal from the Foxy's cart colorbox, they are redirected to the standard PayPal login page. The problem is, once they get there, they only see my handling charges in the "shipping and handling" section of their itemized total. They see a "shipping AND handling" fee of $1.50 and have a precedent set in their minds that I have very cheap shipping. Then they have live shipping rates added and feel like they're getting ripped off. They're not - they just have an inaccurate perception, due to what PayPal is initially telling them.

Does this make sense? I've actually brought this issue up once before several months ago, but at that time there was no known fix for the issue. I've even built a custom header image into that PayPal login page that warns them of this issue, but some folks are still getting turned off.

I am on Foxy 0.7.1, by the way. Do you guys know a way to fix this that doesn't involve intense knowledge of JSON? I'm not that much of a code wiz... yet.

And if my store's URL will help, here ya go: http://welding-tv.com/the-store

Thanks in advance.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks @jodycollier. This is a known issue, but we (also) didn't think it was a high priority. The problem is, we don't know what the shipping price will be at that point (if live rates are involved), so it looks like we're just showing whatever we do know at that time. I can see how that creates a strange perception once the live rates show up.

We'll look into this further and see how complicated a fix would be for a future version. Other than not charging handling fees, I'm not sure what could be done here. In that case though, wouldn't it just show the customer $0 at first and then show them a charge? That might be even more confusing.

Adjusting our workflow around PayPal's model can be interesting at times, but we definitely want to improve this.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    @jodycollier, because it's causing problems, what do you think about hiding the express checkout PayPal link from the cart and forcing the user to go through the regular checkout process?
  • @sparkweb, that sounds fine... I just don't know how to do that, exactly. Can you advise?
  • I am using the default code, by the way.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Try adding this to your cart template:
    <style type="text/css">
    #fc_cart_container a.fc_cart_checkout_paypal { display: none !important; }
    </style>

...and see if that does the trick.
  • Worked! Thanks!!! I'll try this for a while and see where it leads.
  • edited May 2012
  • nathannathan Member
    I would like to try this also, where in the template would I use that code?
    in the <head>?

Thanks
  • nathannathan Member
    Don't worry I put it into the head and it worked. Great thanks.