confusion over subscritions and Paypal WPP

I am getting ready to update my customers store from version 6.0 to 7.2 in order to be able to use recurring billing through my customer's Paypal website Payment Pro account. I have read through all of the online documentation I could find and still have some questions related to the upgrade process and how Paypal WPP will handle the recurring billing.

First, my customer is using Paypal WPP to process all of his credit card transactions. On the final check out page there is an option for people to pay with their Paypal account. If they choose to pay by credit card they have to enter their information including their CVV2 number which is then processed by Paypal.

Now on to the questions:

1) When I initiate the upgrade from 6.0 to 7.2 how long exactly does the upgrade take? I am assuming it is instantaneous or at least very quick. Also, is there any concern I should have about existing store login accounts. Is there a way to back them up first?

2) Regarding Paypal WPP and express checkout. From my reading I understand that I need to enable the IPN settings as described by FoxyCart in order to synchronize the communication for recurring billing/subscriptions between Paypal and FoxyCart. My concern is about the PCI requirement to not pass/use the CVV2 information. Is this a potential break point for a subscription or a billing failure for a subscription?

It seems like people are successfully using Paypal to process recurring subscriptions through FoxyCart but I am still a bit confused.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    When I initiate the upgrade from 6.0 to 7.2 how long exactly does the upgrade take? I am assuming it is instantaneous or at least very quick. Also, is there any concern I should have about existing store login accounts. Is there a way to back them up first?

When you save a store to be a different store version, the update for FoxyCart stuff is instantaneous - the new version will be active straight away. Existing store logins will remain functional as they were previously.

2) Regarding Paypal WPP and express checkout. From my reading I understand that I need to enable the IPN settings as described by FoxyCart in order to synchronize the communication for recurring billing/subscriptions between Paypal and FoxyCart. My concern is about the PCI requirement to not pass/use the CVV2 information. Is this a potential break point for a subscription or a billing failure for a subscription?

If a gateway is requiring the CSC number, then subscriptions won't work, as you have noted because of the PCI requirements that it should never be stored. From what we understand though, PayPal WPP have made it easier to turn off that requirement if you're seeing it as required for your setup.
  • Thank you very much for the clarification.