Foxy Forum Status

We're no longer responding to questions via our forum, but we will keep it up for historical reasons. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please visit our knowledge base or contact us. If there's enough interest in the future, we may bring the forum back.

0.7.2: Updates to subscriptions with flat rate shipping

lukeluke FoxyCart Team
in Help edited April 2012
We've pushed out a change in version 0.7.2 to subscriptions using flat rate shipping to ensure the original flat rate shipping amount is again charged when the subscription runs again. Up until this point, the configured settings for the category would determine the amount charged, but this was causing problems for stores that are using custom JavaScript shipping snippets in the checkout template (that template is not involved in a subscription process). Since most of those stores have the flat rate configured to $0, it wasn't charging any flat rate shipping.

The change we made today includes adding some new fields to the transaction_template XML including shipping_total and shipto_costs. The XSD file: http://admin.foxycart.com/v/0.7.2/xsd/transaction_template.xsd

These new fields are optional, so we don't think this change should have any negative impact on any systems using the XSD.

If you need to change your subscriptions and adjust the amount charged for flat rate shipping, you can do so by editing the subscription in the admin (or using the API). Whatever value a subscription is charging now will continue unless you modify them directly. If you previously adjusted the category to change flat rate shipping for your subscriptions, you'll now need to modify the subscriptions individually. Subscriptions that use live rate shipping will still use the amount configured in the admin for the categories involved in the subscription.

Please let us know if you have any questions about this change or if you run into any problems.
Comments
  • I discovered that upon making the edit to existing subscriptions customers were receiving email notifications that that at first assumed were phishing expeditions. You guys may want to indicate in that admin ui that changes made to existing subscriptions will result in emails to users indicating a change was made.
  • Luke, on digging in here to make changes on my side I'm not clear on what the required change to EXISTING subscriptions would be? Is the required fix on any pre-existing subscriptions (that were not correctly having the shipping charged) to manually insert the "shipping_total" value you noted above?

Thanks
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hello @jcjason. Can you whisper me about which store you're referring to? Is it on version 072? When you do the advanced edit in the admin, you should see the shipping_total node in the XML. You should just have to add the amount there that you want.

Also, editing the subscription via the FoxyCart admin interface should not be sending them an additional email. Are these PayPal subscriptions you're referring to? If so, this same functionality may or may not work. I'm not sure what emails PayPal sends out, but we're not sending any emails in that regard. If someone uses the sub_token link and checks out, then we send an email.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Oh, I see you have a whisper discussion going on in a different thread. I'll follow up there.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    FYI, we noticed today an issue when editing a subscription using flat rate shipping. It doubles the shipping amount and then only subtracts out the future shipping amount once. We're looking into this issue further to develop a fix.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Ok, we just rolled out a fix for the above issue. Flat rate shipping should now show up correctly for 0.7.2 whether or not there is a future subscription in the cart.