The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Coupon Codes - BOGO, but limiting to 2 items

AndreasAndreas Member
in Help edited April 2012
Hi all,

I'm struggling with a coupon code. I want to do a buy-one-get-one free offer and am using repeat|2-100 which works great if someone buys 1, 2 or 3 of something (i.e if they buy 1 the get no discount, if they buy 2 the get the 2nd free, if they buy 3 they still get the 2nd free, but pay full price for #1 and #3.) The issue comes up if they order 4 or 6 or 8 or any other even number. It continues to give them an increasing number of freebies.

Anyone know of a way to limit the BOGO to 2 items? I tried repeat|2-100|3-0, but this took away the discount for #2 if someone bought 3 or more.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Do you change the price of the item often? If not, you might just do a fixed price amount. For example, if the item is $10, you could do 2-10 amount discount which would give $10 off 2 or more items.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @Andreas.
    First, just to be clear: You're saying that you regardless the number ordered you never want more than 1 given away for free? So buy one get one, but not buy two get two? (It'd instead be buy 3 still get only 1?) Just want to make sure I'm understanding the issue correctly.

If that's the case, you could try incremental|2-100|3-0 (make sure it's a discount_quantity_percentage)

Yup, just tested and that works. Huzzah! :)
  • Thanks @Luke and @Brett.

@Luke, the issue in this particular case is I want to offer they BOGO deal on 2 different products, our Big Banjees which are $16.50 and the Polyspandex Reversible Banjees which are $15.

@Brett, that worked well when adding items of the same price, but when I added 1 Big Banjees and 1 Polyspandex Banjees, it got wonky. When I added one of each it took off $15.75 (so half of the total which makes sense, but is still not how most BOGO deals work. Typically they would credit the value of the lesser priced product.) But when I add one Polyspandex and 2 Big Banjees the following happens:
    Subtotal: $48
    Coupon: $16

1 Polyspandex and 3 Big Banjees:
    Subtotal: $64.50
    Coupon: $16.13

So you can see, the coupon continues to increase intermittently.

Anyway, please do not spend too much time on this issue. We're doing this particular one as a Groupon-type deal and have come up with an alternative. We'll sell a $33 coupon which can only be used on Big Banjees or Polyspandex Reversible. There is a bug where by if the coupon is $33 and a customer meets the category condition by buying 2 Polyspandex ($30) the remaining $3 can be spent outside of that category, but to be honest, we don't mind because our lowest priced item is $15 so to use it, they are buying more at an-at-most 20% discount which isn't bad.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    As for the bug you mentioned, we rolled out a fix for that last night: http://forum.foxycart.com/discussion/5779/072-coupon-amount-per-price-fix-released-today#Item_4
  • @Luke, I'm sorry! I didn't realize you fixed it already. This is awesome. You guys rock.