The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Is There A Way To Limit Coupon Codes by Country?

in Help edited April 2012
Hey all,

I need help with a situation.

1). I offer flat-rate shipping

2). This works well except when I offer a coupon code and international buyers take advantage of it, and the shipping costs cause my profit margins to evaporate

3). The plan is to fix this by changing the shipping settings in the cart, but I'd also like to know if there's a way to only make coupons available to people in the US?

Thanks so much!

Jonathan
Comments
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    The problem with this methodology is that coupon codes get added on the cart, before the user enters their geo info so a user could add the coupon, only to find it removed later. What about using the flat rate shipping script to bump up international flat rate shipping fees OR using the script to bump up those shipping fees if a coupon exists?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Interesting suggestion, Jonathan. I'm not sure we've had country-specific coupons requested yet, but down the road we'll probably integrate coupon validation into some of the server-side JavaScript we're working on. In the mean time, you may need some custom JavaScript on your checkout page to adjust the shipping price accordingly, based on the country involved. I don't think it will be easy to restrict the coupon by country unless you prevent checkout completely and force the customer to remove the coupon (which is a bit tricky from the checkout page, but may be possible with the cart redirect feature).
  • Okay, thanks guys.

Some of the shipping snippets allow you to differentiate between flat and live shipping rates, yes?
    I'm thinking that's the easiest way to go at this point.
  • Okay,

Looking at the shipping snippets, I see two snippets that would probably work:

Limiting shipping to US and Canada: http://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/shipping/restricting_countries_from_the_checkout_form

Multiple flat rates: http://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/shipping/multiple_flat_rates

This would work, right?

Are there any issues with combining two snippets?

Thanks so much!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I'll ping @fc_adam as he'd know for sure, but if you understand exactly what's taking place and you test it thoroughly, then it's really up to how confident you are with your testing.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @JonathanBechtel,

That should be fine - but as Luke said, make sure you test