One coupon per item

susannahmpsusannahmp Member
in Help edited May 2012
I need to set up a system that delivers downloadable teleseminars using coupons. Got the download part working. Got coupons working.

Here's the catch. I need to have a customer buy a coupon/voucher, say at a conference that is good for that one teleseminar, but for nothing else. I can see how to do individual coupon codes. But, is there a way that:

1. The price doesn't show up, there's no currency involved except for the coupon
2. The coupon is only good for that one item for that one person

Maybe there's another way I can approach this?

Of course, I'm on a deadline, so any immediate help will be greatly appreciated.

Also of note, I'm using the awesome WP Plug-in, Foxy Shop.

Thanks,
Susannah
Comments
  • It would also be cool if a customer could not even go find the product, but just enter the coupon code and then be directed to the download. Kind of backwards...is it possible?
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    Susannah,

There are a few options.

First, the user could add the product to their cart and add the coupon. If you wanted it to apply to just one product, each product would need to be in its own category and that coupon would need to apply only to the particular category for the product in question. This wouldn't, though, address the issue of only applying to one specific person. The first person to use the code would be able to redeem it. Under this scenario, in no case would you be able to avoid displaying a price at some point during the transaction. Of course, the coupon would completely offset the price, but it would still be displayed in the cart with a discount applied to make the total 0.

Another option is that you could host your own coupon field and check against your own database. In this case, the user would never have to find the product. You could provide a special link, say, mydomain.com/redeem where you would create form to collect their code. You would pass that code off to your database, validate it, and then add the appropriate product to the cart at a price of 0. In this case, no price will ever be displayed in the cart except 0. You would want to make sure to use a quantity_max of 1 in this case! The order would then be completed as normal, without any need to have the coupons loaded into FoxyCart at all. It would still not solve the specific-user issue.

A third option would be to bypass FoxyCart entirely for the redemption of fully pre-paid downloads. This would, of course, mean that there would be no official record of the transaction in the FoxyCart admin panel and you would need to self-host the download, but you could collect the code and deliver the downloadable product from your own servers and never have to worry about the cart at all.

If you really need to restrict the redemption to one particular person, you would need to either require that the user be logged in to your site and then redeem as in number 2, verifying that the user logged in is the user assigned to the code, or you would need to collect some data in addition to the coupon code on a self-hosted page, such as name, and compare that against the record in the database.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you like one of these three options, feel free to let me know and we can discuss one in greater details, perhaps.

Lance
  • I think I would have to do option one because I am not brilliant enough for option two unless there's some place you can direct me to some pre-fab code. :-)

I can do the one coupon code per download through the coupons in Foxy Cart. The client just wants to prevent people sharing codes, etc.

• lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    Susannah,

#1 you can setup with no back-end programming. You just need to setup the categories and make sure the products are being added to the cart with the appropriate category. The other options would require some PHP / MySQL work, and there isn't really any pre-fab code that applies to this specific situation. There is some code for self-hosted downloads and some that applies to coupons, but nothing that you could really simply copy and deploy.

If you have any other questions about how to get Option 1 up and running, feel free to post again.

Lance
  • Thanks, Lance! I'm hoping the number one solution will work for my client. Working on it now. I appreciate the quick response!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Also, please vote for this request: http://requests.foxycart.com/forums/4162-general-requests/suggestions/34440-gift-certs-vouchers

What you're describing is actually an example of a voucher system.