The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Using 'categories' to achieve product-specific emails sent after the order (or Mailchimp / Mandrill)

patrickpitmanpatrickpitman Member
in General edited May 2012
Can you help me understand the best way to get to this kind of outcome:

Customer A buys product X and gets a normal everyday receipt email AND THEN gets another email that says "and here's the special info you need to know about buying product X [because it's in the blue category]"

Customer B buys product Y and gets a normal everyday receipt email AND THEN gets another email that says "and here's the special info you need to know about buying product Y [because it's in the pink category]"

1. Is that why I'd use categories in foxycart, setting up pink and blue categories?

2. And then I could use special email templates for each category?

3. And conceivably there's no limit on the # of categories, and I could have a category for nearly every product I want?

*Without getting off-topic, I'm also alternatively considering http://mandrill.com/ which is the transactional email solution new from Mailchimp. I'm thinking I could do all my email config / design stuff within Mandrill / Mailchimp and then just do some API magic between FoxyCart and Mandrill / Mailchimp to achieve the scenario above. So I'm thinking about usign FoxyCart categories as the simplest starting point...

Welcome people's experiences or observations on this.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @patrickpitman,

Your steps 1, 2 and 3 are exactly right for what you've described.

As far as using Mandrill, you could certainly integrate with that using the webhooks/datafeeds: http://www.foxycart.com/features/feature/integration/datafeeds and having an endpoint on your server that accepts the encrypted transaction data and then sends the relevant information onto Mandrill.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    If you're looking to do segmented email communication (which it sounds like you are), I'd recommend going with a full email service solution. We just do basic email receipts as our primary focus is the cart and checkout experience. As Adam said, we encourage people to integrate with the best tools for the job. We built FoxyCart to integrate.