Using Xero and FoxyCart: income allocation for ecommerce orders

patrickpitmanpatrickpitman Member
in Help edited May 2012
I'd welcome perspective on anyone using FoxyCart to push customer or order data into Xero.com via the API.

I understand there's a straight forward enough process to get 'invoices' and 'customers' into Xero via their API. And I understand FoxyCart can likely push that data in there to spec.

But here's the bigger business objective / question; maybe others know the obvious answer:

1. ecommerce shopper places order on website via FoxyCart (and items are all in same category, or split among categories)

2. order data containing customer info is pushed from FoxyCart into Xero, creating an invoice / customer record (and that invoice has one or more line items, which might correspond to one or more income accounts in Xero).

3. a day or so later, the payment processor (Visa /Mastercard) places a deposit in a bank account for the prior day's batch. That deposit shows up as income in Xero, via the bank's feed showing income deposits.

So how to get that deposit of income matched up / tied into those earlier invoices created in Xero by FoxyCart's API?

I realize this may be better posted on the Xero.com forum, and I'm reaching out to Xero resources. I also realize that Xero isn't necessarily an order management system and maybe ought not have a record of individual customers...

Still, I've observed that the FoxyCart guys have some interest in Xero. Maybe others on this forum would welcome some Xero discussion.

Also am willing to hire someone to help me with this topic.

Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    When the gateway deposits the money into your account, does it give you any indication what order's it includes? FoxyCart will post the processor response - which is what is returned from your payment gateway. I believe most payment gateways will send a lump sum of all of the income from the day through to your bank, so there may not reliably know what is and isn't included - unless your bank sends through some information on what it includes as well.

Which payment gateway will you be using?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We've actually reached out to http://www.carrytheone.co.uk/ to see if they'd be interested in building out a FoxyCart / Xero integration. They may have answers for you as well. I'm not entirely sure of the best way to reconcile transactions as you're describing, but I'm certainly curious of the different options out there.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @patrickpitman fwiw, we switched over to using Xero ourselves a few months back, and we've just recently started thinking about doing something for our own use (and sharing it on our wiki, of course). My thought was that it'd make the most sense to keep the FoxyCart transactions in a separate account. The idea (at least, as far as we see it) would be to ensure that you're getting (from your merchant account) the money you think you should be getting (from FoxyCart's transaction history).

I'm not sure how else (if at all) you could further reconcile things, but I'd be really interested to know what Xero says. This isn't really a FoxyCart thing as much as a "this is how ecommerce and merchant accounts work" thing, so I'm sure others have dealt with it already.
  • Hey guys, just wanted to check in on this. I'm considering switching to Xero and a Foxy integration would be awesome. It would be more awesome if I didn't have to code it myself :)
    @BillDA, we're still on Xero ourselves. We have on our list of things to eventually do to create an integration, but… still nothing on our end, unfortunately.

I can say though that Xero has gotten a little faster since we first started using it, and that after a bit of use it's markedly more powerful than many other options. Thankfully, some of that power is lost on me, but our accountant is doing things in there that seem to be cool :)

If you do build something out, we'd love to know and we're here to help. Do you know how you're go about it (not in terms of how to use the API, but rather, how you'd structure the data on the Xero side)?
  • Hey @Brett - I figured it was about the same priority for you as it is for me: "This would be cool, but it doesn't cause so much pain I need to invest a lot of time in fixing it" haha.

I'm on Quickbooks right now and not too psyched about it, so I'm probably going to switch to Xero at the end of the year. I'll check back then and let you know what I figure out...
    @BillDA, awesome :)
    One of us will eventually get something, most likely.
  • @brett Hey man, just checking in because I'm taking the Xero switch more seriously now (end of my rope with QuickBooks). Ever get anything figured out? Is Carry The One working on adding FoxyCart?
    Unfortunately, nothing back from CarryTheOne. I just submitted the contact form again. Perhaps give it a go as well. They support a lot of carts, and we're pretty easy to work with, so hopefully it'd be straightforward for them if they're interested.
  • Hi, just checking whether the integration for Xero is still yet to be developed? Am really keen to use FoxyCart for a website I'm planning to build where the client needs integration with Xero.
    Hi @moldedjelly.
    Not yet, BUT… we do have a Zapier integration done on our end that we're working on adding to v2.0. WIth that, you could connect FoxyCart to Xero from Zapier. You think that'd get you what you're after?

Fwiw, I wrote a script to create transactions in Xero (from LetsFreckle.com data) and Xero's API is pretty nice to work with. But Zapier makes things a little easier.
    @patrickpitman, old thread but (since I've talked with you since then) I figured you might be interested:

We're talking with https://www.pipemonk.com/, which will have a Xero integration. If you're still interested, let me know and we'll get you early access. (We don't have a time frame, but seems like they move pretty quickly.)
  • just throwing my name in here for updates on this. Current Xero user.
    @purpleontime, thanks for chiming in. We'll keep you posted.
    @moldedjelly @purpleontime, it looks like there's a Xero integration coming very soon (from an established and reputable company), and looking for beta testers and for people to provide feedback on features. Would you mind if we connect you with them?