HTML Receipt Email Image Pixalation/Blurred

in Help edited May 2012
Hi,
I am currently having a problem with the HTML Email Receipt, where the image is being stretch/pixalated,
I inspected the image with firebug, and it looks like it is adding a css style to the image, making it a width of "150px"
I couldnt find where on the admin, to change that, or to remove that style

much help is appreciated, thanks
Comments
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    @bdcadvertising -

All of the HTML CSS should be defined under Templates > Email in your FoxyCart admin panel. The first textarea is for the text e-mail and the second textarea is for the HTML e-mail.

Does that help?

Lance
  • HI Lance,
    thanks for responding and helping me with this issue that I am currently having.

I saw one of your forum post on:
    http://forum.foxycart.com/discussion/4738/email-receipt-cart-image-too-wide/p1

that is currently the same issue I am having, the html email receipt, where the image has an inline-style that is making it 150px wide,

but by me doing that, it is currently having email issues with it,
    Outlook is fine, but gmail, yahoo, hotmail, hates it
    when i do the img[style] css to override that inline style that it currently has

much help is appreciated, thanks
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    Where are you adding the override?
  • it is the last line of code inside the <style></style> tag
    then the html tags begins
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @bdcadvertising,

What you're probably hitting with it working in some and not others is simply the restrictions that those particular clients have on HTML email support. The vast majority of the more advanced (and some not advanced at all) styling just don't work consistently across clients. It's a massive pain.

With that said, the only options for you at this point is to try to find a way to override it reliably using CSS, or roll your own HTML emails using the XML datafeed to process orders as they happen. I'll ping our development team to take a closer look at this from our email template as well.
    Also worth noting, in our next upcoming release we have added support for twig templates, that allows you to control the contents of the placeholders like ^^cart^^ and ^^checkout^^ which will make customising HTML emails much easier.
  • That sounds about like what we're after. When will this be available in a stable form?

In the mean time, we still feel that there is a bug in how the images of cart items display in emails. Some email clients (unless I missed something) break. It's like the image doesn't call or access properly to our cached image...something like that. The screenshots we sent last week should confirm this.

All we really want to do is have stable image displaying, and possibly control the size since it looks like you're scaling up to a larger size by default, which stretches and pixelates the images heavily. The emails are the only place we're seeing this happen.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    For others who find this thread, we're thinking it might be a configuration within phpthumb on the image host server not allowing for hotlinking.
  • Yep, I'm thinking the same. The real question is...do we really need to whitelist every webmail application known to man in order to make it work? It might be easier to just remove the hotlink protection (which sucks).

I was originally thinking that the FoxyCart cached version of the image would be sent in the emails, but that appears not to be the case. It's all good...at least we're figuring this thing out! :)
  • I've removed hotlinking and that particular issue is fixed, but images are still skewed.

We may not be able to resolve that issue until you come out with the next version of FoxyCart that allows us to edit the HTML for the "cart" tag. Sorta stuck until we can modify the inline styles for images in "cart", since the inline styles are overwriting our CSS styles.
  • matt633matt633 Member
    edited December 2013
    We are having the same issue with images in email receipts. In newer versions of Outlook, they are taking over at least half of the receipt, if not more. I know that email client standardization is a real hassle, but do you have any new code for this? It's almost as if Outlook is completely ignoring the css (either inline or otherwise). Images seem to be coming out at 100% of the original size.

I have css in the head area that is telling the image and the td to be 150px, and it's still ignoring that.

image001.png

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
    @matt633,

You could try updating your store to 1.0 or 1.1 and making use of the Twig templates to be able to edit the email receipt template directly to apply inline styles to the images to make them the width you want. That's probably the best approach currently to ensure that those images are a certain size.

For notes on upgrading, see this page: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/upgrading