The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Questions About GA Conversion Tracking

Hey all!

I'm getting ready to install conversion tracking on my shopping cart, but had a few questions about the procedure and setup.

All the information I'm using is coming from this page: http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration/googleanalytics_async

Question 1):

The Directions Say:

In the “Tracking Code” section (click the “Check Status” link to get there with an existing account)…
If your cart and checkout are at something like example.foxycart.com, select the “Multiple top-level domains” radio button, as shown on the screenshot to the right.
If your cart and checkout are at a custom subdomain, something like secure.example.com, select the “One domain with multiple subdomains” radio button.

My Dilemmna:

I currently use this google analytics account to track www.healthkismet.com AND blog.healthkismet.com, and as a result need to have it set to "One domain with multiple subdomains"....but my shopping cart is healthkismet.foxycart.com, and it says in the directions I need to use the other option.

Is there a way around this? Is it okay if I just leave it at "Multiple top-level domains?"

Question 2:

In the "Setting Up Your Site" portion is says: "On your own site, add the following below your GA script tags:"

Does this code only go on the pages that have a foxycart form added to them? Do they go in the head portion of the html? (I would assume so)

Question 3:

For the FoxyCart templates does the javascript code go in the Head portion of the html? Are there any other specific instructions on where you should put it? Below or above something else?

Question 4:

To test the transactions.......does that involve getting all new GA code and putting it into the website and then replacing it with the original once you're finished?

Thanks so much!

Jonathan
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @JonathanBechtel,

Brett is our resident GA expert, so I'll let him reply - although it will possibly only be start of next week as he's currently travelling.
  • Hey hey,

any word on this yet?

Thanks so much!
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @JonathanBechtel,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query. @brett is generally the best person to talk to with Google Analytics questions, but he hasn't been able to jump in to answer you. I'll ping him again on this and make sure he gets in as soon as possible.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @JonathanBechtel. Sorry for the delay.
    Is there a way around this? Is it okay if I just leave it at "Multiple top-level domains?"
    Yes, leave it at the multiple top-level domains, since that's still what it is. If you want to track the subdomains separately though you might need to add a bit extra.
    Does this code only go on the pages that have a foxycart form added to them? Do they go in the head portion of the html? (I would assume so)
    The code can go anywhere below your GA code and your FoxyCart js. Doesn't really matter where so long as it's beneath both those, since it makes calls to both of them. And for the same reason, it can go on every page of your site that has the FoxyCart js on it. I'd say just include it wherever you include the FoxyCart js. Does that make sense?
    For the FoxyCart templates does the javascript code go in the Head portion of the html? Are there any other specific instructions on where you should put it? Below or above something else?
    Again, it's not as important where it goes so long as it goes beneath where you're calling your GA and FC js. When in doubt, stick it down by the closing body tag though.
    To test the transactions.......does that involve getting all new GA code and putting it into the website and then replacing it with the original once you're finished?
    To test the GA stuff (because you can't delete bad data), I'd set up a separate test profile and test there. It's a little more of a pain, but it's worth it, because then you know exactly what data's coming in. Especially if you're wondering about how your blog subdomain will track, I'd do that. It'll probably all work out fine, but (personally) I hate bad data in my analytics, and it can sometimes be tricky if you're doing anything advanced. Also, if you have a test profile set up, you might feel more comfortable adding things like events and segments and such, which can be _super_ handy.

Depending on what you're doing, you maybe could do something serverside like if the request is from your IP (or it sees that you're logged into your site) to serve you the test profile. Just a thought.

Does that help?
  • @Brett_Florio

Thanks for this reply. I just finished installing the conversion tracking, but still had a few questions.

First Issue

In the directions it mentions setting up two additional goals if you use PayPal Express Checkout.

Is paypal express checkout a distinct payment product or is it the same as regularly paying with PayPal.

I use Stripe as a payment gateway, do I need to setup these additional goal(s) to track customers that pay with PayPal?

Second Issue

Google Analytics also has instructions for installing E-commerce tracking in Analytics.

It's here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingEcommerce

Is there anything special we need to do with this so it plays nice with FoxyCart?

Where should the code for this be placed relative to other code?

Third Issue

For the receipt code, does this:

^^receipt_only_begin^^
    ^^analytics_google_ga_async^^
    ^^receipt_only_end^^

mean it should be placed in the head? body? does it mean nothing at all?

I placed the receipt code before the </head> tag in the foxycart admin beneath the cache'd css. Is that okay?