character substitutions in transaction export files

drwagner13drwagner13 Member
in Help edited June 2012
Hi, I am using the transaction export files to get my transaction data into a database (Filemaker Pro). However, non-English characters with accents (ñ, é, ö) are not coming through correctly. They are substituted. For instance o-umlat comes through as "√∂". I can make substitutions before or after import, but it seems to me that the text file Foxycart gives me might be able to use these characters. What's the trick?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey @drwagner13. What version of the FoxyCart admin are you using to do the export? That seems odd, since the files should be coming out as UTF-8. Can you whisper us some details, possibly some transaction numbers so we can take a closer look?
  • drwagner13drwagner13 Member
    edited June 2012
    Hi, I'm on 0.7.2
    See transaction: 11183950
    Looks right on website screen, but csv and tab-delim files have ö coded wrong in address field.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks, we'll take a look.
  • Just to clarify, all accented characters are encoded wrong in the transcripts.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey @drwagner13. I've been trying to reproduce this and have been unable to find a problem in the FoxyCart system. When I use FireFox, it opens from the export to my text editor which is configured for UTF-8 (and works correctly). When I use Chrome, it opens in Open Office. It prompts me for a encoding type and if I leave it defaulted to Western Europe (Windows 1252/Win Latin1), I see the problem. When change that to UTF-8, it works correctly. So it appears to be a conversion problem when importing into a spreadsheet.
  • I did some tests, and you are right. Most applications seem to open this format incorrectly by default on my computer. In order to get the information into Filemaker I found I can open in Excel and re-save. A minor hassle, but it works. Thanks for your help.