The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

character substitutions in transaction export files

drwagner13drwagner13 Member
in Help edited June 2012
Hi, I am using the transaction export files to get my transaction data into a database (Filemaker Pro). However, non-English characters with accents (ñ, é, ö) are not coming through correctly. They are substituted. For instance o-umlat comes through as "√∂". I can make substitutions before or after import, but it seems to me that the text file Foxycart gives me might be able to use these characters. What's the trick?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey @drwagner13. What version of the FoxyCart admin are you using to do the export? That seems odd, since the files should be coming out as UTF-8. Can you whisper us some details, possibly some transaction numbers so we can take a closer look?
  • drwagner13drwagner13 Member
    edited June 2012
    Hi, I'm on 0.7.2
    See transaction: 11183950
    Looks right on website screen, but csv and tab-delim files have ö coded wrong in address field.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks, we'll take a look.
  • Just to clarify, all accented characters are encoded wrong in the transcripts.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey @drwagner13. I've been trying to reproduce this and have been unable to find a problem in the FoxyCart system. When I use FireFox, it opens from the export to my text editor which is configured for UTF-8 (and works correctly). When I use Chrome, it opens in Open Office. It prompts me for a encoding type and if I leave it defaulted to Western Europe (Windows 1252/Win Latin1), I see the problem. When change that to UTF-8, it works correctly. So it appears to be a conversion problem when importing into a spreadsheet.
  • I did some tests, and you are right. Most applications seem to open this format incorrectly by default on my computer. In order to get the information into Filemaker I found I can open in Excel and re-save. A minor hassle, but it works. Thanks for your help.
Sign In or Register to comment.