transaction type on receipt email to admin

csavagecsavage Member
in Help edited July 2012
Hello All,
Is there any way to identify paypal transactions in the email receipt to remind users how they payed?

We see a card number and visa/mastercard/amex for normal transactions but nothing really for paypal transactions.
I understand there is no real credit card column for paypal but just a simple identifier similar to the (visa) would be helpful.

I can't seem to find any codes other than ^^receipt^^

Example information from receipts
paypal transaction
ORDER SUMMARY:
* Order #: 123456
* Date: Tue 10 Jul 2012 11:59:09 AM EDT
* Transaction Type: Paypal <---suggested addition
* Order Total: $1.00

credit card transaction
ORDER SUMMARY:
* Order #: 123345
* Date: Fri 01 Jun 2012 12:09:14 AM EDT
* Card Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx1111 (Visa) <--- helps user identify how they paid for the item
* Order Total: $1.00

Thank in advance,

Chad
Tagged:
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Great suggestion, Chad. We'll create a ticket to add this to a future version.
  • Thanks Luke!
  • I also have a need for this, not sure where I can go to vote up features though.

In the meantime, here's the hacky javascript I'm using to include the payment method on the receipt as a custom field hidden input:
    <!-- put this in the head -->
    <script type="text/javascript">
    	$(document).ready(function(){
    		var payment_method_name_mapping = {
    			'plastic': 'Credit Card',
    			'purchase_order': 'Purchase Order'
    		}
    		$('#Payment_Method').val(payment_method_name_mapping[$('input[name="fc_payment_method"]:checked').val()]);
    		$('input[name="fc_payment_method"]').change(function(){
    			var payment_method = $(this).val();
    			$('#Payment_Method').val(payment_method_name_mapping[$('input[name="fc_payment_method"]:checked').val()]);
    		});
    	});
    </script>

<!-- put this somewhere in the body -->
    ^^custom_begin^^
    <input type="hidden" name="Payment_Method" id="Payment_Method" value="" />
    ^^custom_end^^

• lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for posting! :)

You can vote up features here: http://requests.foxycart.com

Also, you could possibly use Twig which is available in 1.0 to do this as well.
  • skiski Member
    Hello

Going back to the first question, is the following field supposed to display by default as part of ^^receipt^^ / ^^checkout^^ on the receipt email?:

* Card Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx1111 (Visa)

I would like to have this display on my email receipts, but it currently does not do this. Would help us identify credit card type. Is there a way to activate it?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ski,

What store version are you running? We have rolled this feature out to newer store versions - I believe at least from version 0.7.2 onwards.
  • skiski Member
    That could be it, I am still running 0.7.1. Will this feature switch on by default once I upgrade?
  • njwfxnjwfx Member
    For anyone reading this old thread, there is a parameter in the default receipt email template called:
    'is_show_additional_payment_data'
    You can customise the receipt template and all you need to do is add:
    {% set is_show_additional_payment_data = true %}
    at the top of the template

Then the 'processor response' will be included in the receipt email.

e.g for paypal it will look like:

Processor Response
    PayPal Transaction ID: 6F91353007573325U

If it is a credit card it will also include the Processor response, which is not needed but not a problem to be on the receipt

I did look but didn't see anywhere in the 'configuration' options in the admin where I could set 'is_show_additional_payment_data' by a check box or similar, rather than having to edit the receipt template.
    It would be useful if it was a configuration option
    @njwfx,

Thanks for your posting your findings here. We actually made a change just last week to our default receipt template to always output the processor response. That if statement you noted was previously there as it was only outputting the processor response for some specific gateways. For consistency though we moved to outputting it for all, so for anyone on the default template now, it will be outputting all the time.
  • njwfxnjwfx Member
    Oh that's a conicidence.

So suddenly everyone will have the payment processor info on their receipt when it wasn't there before?

Although the change is on Github there is no documentation to say what the change is and even if you look at the code it can be diffcult to see what the change would do. Is there somewhere where you document changes?

Presumably now if people DON'T want the processor info on the receipt then they will have to remove the whole section from their custom receipt template.

I actually like the idea of having parameters in the code that you can set at the top of the template - it is then much easier to customise in terms of including / excluding particular sections.

Thanks

@njwfx,

Good question - we have a changelog available as part of our blog here: https://www.foxycart.com/categories/b-changelogs
  • njwfxnjwfx Member
    perfect - thanks.
    Sorry it's a bit hard to find the info on your site sometimes, what with the forum, wiki, blog and github - not sure where to look sometimes :-)
    edited August 15
    @njwfx,

No need to apologise! We're working on an new administration at the moment also - and are discussing ways to better expose new features and changes through that interface as well - sorry it's not easily found right now.