Error Log: No Transaction ID Found

bushybushy Member
in General edited October 2008
About once a week I get a failed transaction that shows up in the Error Log as "No Transaction ID Found." I can't recreate it. Has anyone else seen this or can offer an explanation of what might be happening? I can't recreate it myself. Running 0.3.2. Thx.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey bushy. We've been trying to track that one down for quite a while. If someone tries to reload the receipt page after a transaction, they will get that error, but we've also noticed some browsers consider it a "reload" if you print the page or do a view source. So even though the customer sees no error, the error is still logged in the admin as if someone was loading the checkout page with no transaction id setup in their session. We're still looking into it to see if there might be other factors involved. Another common cause is for someone's session to completely time out as they window shop. In that case, when they load up the checkout page, there is no reference to a transaction to work with.
  • I'm getting this error on all my transactions (the site isn't live yet. don't know if that could be the reason because its all test transactions?)
    what could I messed up?
    using FC on modx.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @sinbad When you say "all", can you clarify? There are a number of (valid) ways to get this error, but also some that seem to happen totally in the background. Are you getting the error showing in your error log, but not displaying to the customer ever? Or are you just getting this error over and over without being able to complete a transaction?

Let us know what exactly is happening, where you're seeing the error reported, and the URL that it's happening at. (You can whisper it if it's a private URL.) If you have found a way to reliably trigger this error in the background we'd LOVE to see how. This is one of those phantom bugs that we've been trying to quash for a year, and while we're getting closer we still want to kill it 100%.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, it many ways it's just an indication of an abandoned cart who's session is expired but has been revisited. In that case, there's no "fix". However, we have seen people checkout just fine with no problems at all and we still see the error entry. Either they failed to mention that they let the thing expire and they re-added it, or there's something else going on.
  • thanks both for the replies,
    sorry I was not clear. I meant I'm getting this error olny in the error log in FC admin area.
    The user on front end don't see any error. The XML feed logger on the box recognized the test transaction id and all.

It's just in the log of FC, and I guess it could be because I played with the cart that day. just wanted to make sure.
    This is the really interesting and difficult case for us, when the user doesn't see the error but it gets logged. If you happen to figure out a way to make this error happen "transparently" like this please let us know, as we've been unable to determine exactly where it's occurring. Luckily, though, it doesn't seem to affect the customer in this case.
  • This reminds me of a novel that my brother in law (an early software engineer compared to us noobs) turned me onto. It's called "The Bug." Wonderful read. Stealing from Amazon's description:

Ethan Levin, programmer at a database start-up in the mid 1980s, has a serious bug to find, one that freezes the whole program. However, the elusive bug cannot be reliably reproduced; it seems to rear its ugly head only during high-stakes demonstrations for venture capitalists and prospective clients. As the bug continues to elude Levin and Roberta, the software tester, the idea that it has a life of its own seems less and less a joke (even to fellow employees), and more believable.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Nice!!!

Similar to the infamous "but it works on my computer!"
    I have the visual of "Tron" men speeding through our code, fighting the evil red men to defeat these issues and provide stability to FoxyCart. Go blue!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    "This is gold leader to gold two and three. Split up. Take them one on one."

Oh that's freaking awesome. That made my day. I love that movie. I wore out the VHS copy we had.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Don't get too excited... but we may have found a fix for one of the causes of this issue. Third party cookies turned off used in conjunction with cart=checkout may have been causing some issues when the "Cancel and Continue Shopping" link was clicked. The fix was committed tonight on all store versions back to 0.3.0.