Free Shipping (Always on a certain item)

cbootcboot Member
in Help edited August 2012
This might sound like a really stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the documentation or forums. I have one product that is a "payment plan" for another product, and don't want the customer to be charged shipping every month. How do I make shipping "free" for this product only?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    You can add that product to a different category in FoxyCart that does not have shipping and then include the category when adding that product to the cart. If you want to do a product bundle when adding an item to the cart, this snippet may help: http://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/misc_cart_and_checkout/product_bundles_addons
  • @Luke

Thanks for the prompt reply! The product is already in its own category, and under "Product Deliver Options" I've selected "no shipping". Is that all I have to do?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    If it works, yes. ;-)

When you add that product to the cart, be sure to specify the category for that product. cartgory=<yourcategorycode> for a link or use a hidden input for a form. Please let us know if you have any questions.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Remember that No Shipping means a non-shippable item and that that it won't request a shipping address. If you want to ship it but want to collect $0, make it a flat-rate shipment with a shipping cost of 0.00.
  • The item is non-shippable. Therefore, there should be no shipping charge... But the xml feed is still showing a shipping charge. Any ideas?
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Was it added to the cart with a no-ship category? If so, you'd better whisper the transaction ID to @luke so he can look at it.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @cboot,

From the looks of what you whispered with the XML, that is just a portion of the complete XML you're being sent, is that right?

If so, and from looking at the orders for your store, the orders for the payment plan also include another product for the device itself. This has a category with shipping applied, so that's where the shipping value is coming from. When the subscription runs again (and it will just be the subscription, not the other product as well) it won't have any shipping applied to it.
  • Any updates on the matter I whispered? We've got a couple subscription orders coming up, and don't want the customer to be charged for shipping again as has apparently happened once already.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @cboot. We're taking a look. Unfortunately, @Luke is the one on our end who handles most of the subscription functionality, but he's out sick (he'll get better but man… glad I'm not him right now) so it might take a few days. I think you may have identified a bug though, but we'll confirm one way or another as soon as we can. Sorry for the delay.
  • @brett,

Thanks for the reply. No worries. I completely understand. I see that there's a way to edit the XML of subscription items from the store manager on foxycart. If we are unable to find a solution before the next subscription item is run, will manually changing the shipping value in that XML to 0 serve as a temporary fix?

Wishing @Luke a full and speedy recovery!

-Cameron
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @cboot,

Thanks for your understanding - and that's definitely your best approach in the meantime!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for following up, @cboot. I've created a ticket for this and we'll fix it in a future version (if not, sooner). In the meantime, you'll have to modify the XML directly.

Feeling better, but still not at 100%. :)
  • @luke,

Thanks for the update! Glad to see you're back. :)

I changed all of our current subscriptions shipping cost to 0 in the XML. That should buy us a little time at least. Hope to see this fix in the near future!
  • Sorry for the impatience, but are there any updates on this bug? We still have payment plans coming in that are getting charged shipping every month. :/
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey @cboot. We hadn't planned on diving into this one until a future release, but based on the way you have things setup, it looks like it's causing some continued frustration for you. If we can roll out a fix and be confident it won't break things, we'll try to do that. In the meantime, have you thought about using the XML Datafeed and the API to clear out the shipping by modifying the subscriptions once they are created after a transaction completes?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    @cboot: We just rolled out an adjustment to 1.0 that won't add shipping to subscriptions if the subscription no longer has shippable products. This should fix the issues you've been seeing. Please let us know if you see any other subscriptions come through that don't appear correct. As before, you'll still have to adjust subscriptions that have already come through before this fix.
  • @luke Thank you so much for working on this... we had a couple new orders placed on September 7 that still seem to be showing a shipping charge in the xml. Did these orders get in prior to the change being made, or am I doing something wrong on my end? I can whisper you the transaction IDs if that would be helpful.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    @cboot: This change was made to version 1.0 and it looks like your store is still on version 072. You'll need to upgrade to get these changes. More information on upgrading can be found here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/upgrading
  • @luke,

AH. I feel foolish now. I updated our version, and should see changes shortly. Thanks for the help.
  • @luke, After updating, it looks like there's still a shipping charge in the subscription XML for new subscriptions. This charge will only apply at the time of purchase, correct? I can whisper the transaction ID in question.

I also noticed another problem... There's certain coupons on the subscription, such as 5% off, that should get run every time the payment is run, not just the first time. However, we're not seeing that discount be applied on subsequent months. Any idea why?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for whispering those details, @cboot. We're taking a look.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for posting, @cboot. We just pushed out a fix for 1.0 relating the shipping that should not have been present on the subscription. We're still looking into the coupon issue you mentioned.
  • @luke Thanks so much for the help! Sorry for being so difficult!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Not a problem at all! You're finding bugs and helping us improve our product which we greatly appreciate. It helps everyone.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I was able to reproduce the problem with the coupon codes missing from the subscription and it's unfortunately part of a larger problem. When doing the "import" method of editing coupon codes, it actually removes all existing codes in the system for that coupon code and adds new ones based what is added to the import textarea. Because of the way subscriptions store a template transaction, they are connected to the actual coupons to be used and when those coupons get deleted, the subscription no longer has an accurate reference to them.

We'll be working on a fix for this and depending on how intrusive it is, we'll roll it out for current versions, though the possibly remains that it will have to wait for a future version.

In the meantime, I suggest either creating a new coupon or not using the import feature when editing coupon codes that are currently being used by a subscription.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    OK, we have a fix we're running through some tests now. We'll update this thread once we can confidently roll out the change.
  • @luke

Thanks so much for your efforts to resolve this issue. It is much appreciated!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey @cboot. Just wanted to let you know we pushed out the fix regarding coupon codes getting stomped. We made the change in both 072 and 1.0.