Foxy Forum Status

We're no longer responding to questions via our forum, but we will keep it up for historical reasons. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please visit our knowledge base or contact us. If there's enough interest in the future, we may bring the forum back.

spf and domain key?

sam452sam452 Member
in Help edited August 2012
I'm following the instructions for adding foxy cart's email to our DNS records.

http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/0.7.2/emails

The spf is self-explanatory but the TXT record assumes I know what the standard TXT record will look like. It doesn't look like any I've set up. The instructions say, "So if your store is sending email from orders@example.net, you'd add this: & very long encrypted string & to smtpapi._domainkey.example.net." OK, I guess the encrypted string is unique to foxy cart and not my domain. The wording is ambiguous. Is my TXT record supposed to look like the below?

smtpapi._domainkey.highschooltix.com "k=rsa very long encrypted string verbatim", thx, sam
Tagged:
Comments
  • fredfred FoxyCart Team
    edited August 2012
    Hi Sam,

Your TXT record should look like this:
    smtpapi._domainkey.foxycart.com.	1668	IN	TXT	"k=rsa; t=s; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDPtW5iwpXVPiH5FzJ7Nrl8USzuY9zqqzjE0D1r04xDN6qwziDnmgcFNNfMewVKN2D1O+2J9N14hRprzByFwfQW76yojh54Xu3uSbQ3JP0A7k8o8GutRF8zbFUA8n0ZH2y0cIEjMliXY4W4LwPA7m4q0ObmvSjhd63O9d8z1XkUBwIDAQAB"

Results from:
    http://dnsrlookup.onlinetoolkit.org/?host=smtpapi._domainkey.foxycart.com&recordtype=TXT

That is, for the name
    smtpapi._domainkey.highschooltix.com

the content of the TXT record should be the
    "k=rsa abcdabcdabcdabcd123..."

You can use that above tool to make sure that your settings look like ours after you set up the record. Let us know if you need anything else, thanks!
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @sam452, fwiw…
    The spf is self-explanatory but the TXT record assumes I know what the standard TXT record will look like.
    We should explain, but you're right, we do assume that knowledge. SPF records can be tricky, and it took us considerable time way back when to learn all about them and figure it out. (Our needs are more advanced than normal, but it's still tricky.) Also, there's no real standard "this is what your record should be" because so many domains are using so many different systems to send mail from.

Sorry about that.
  • Sorry, Fred, I thought I had it but am still confused. Reading from "That is .. on down" I think you're saying:

smtpapi._domainkey.highschooltix.com 1668 IN TXT "THIS IS NOW WHAT CONFUSES ME"

In my earlier post it *appears* I'm to use the encrypted string in the help page. Don't know what it comes from (looks like it's tied to foxycart.com) But your response seems to suggest I'm to come up with my own encrypted string . If so, I could not determine from the wiki page how to generate my own encrypted string. Your good faith effort to clear things up landed on deaf ears.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @sam452 - you don't need to create that yourself, simply copy and paste what is listed on the wiki page - @fred was just typing out fake data for the sake of the post. You'll notice his first code block that shows what it should look like is what is on the wiki.