The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Test account on a live store?

babblebibbabblebib Member
in Help edited September 2012
Hi,

Is there any way to use a test account on a live store with a live gateway?

My scenario is that I'd like to do some usability testing and have users checkout with a fake credit card / user account, however my store and gateway must remain live for my real orders that might be occurring at the same time.
Tagged:
Comments
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Sure, just create another test account - FoxyCart actually recommends that. Maybe babblebib2.foxycart.com?
  • Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Can you elaborate a little? Do you mean create an entirely new store? If so, how would my website know to send the test user to the test store and real users to the real one?

For example, when the test user clicks 'checkout' - that will be the same button as my real users.

Am I being a little slow here? :)
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Well I think the idea is usually that you'd setup a test version of your store with the test FoxyCart account connected. Alternately, you could setup your site to look for a querystring called test and if it's there, use the test FoxyCart account, otherwise use the regular one. Maybe that would work?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Do you have a development version of your website? That would be the ideal place to integrate your test FoxyCart store.
  • Hi Both,

We do not have a development version of the site but I do understand what you are suggesting. It is not too much hassle to create a development version, so that is probably what we'll do for our usability tests.
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    Another possibility is that if you have users logging into the store site, you can have them login with the test account and serve different versions of the FoxyCart includes / add to cart links to users logged in with designated test accounts. How easy it would be to do this depends to a large extent on the platform / CMS you're using to run your store, and it might just be quicker to setup an isolated dev environment for testing.

In general, an isolated environment is a good idea, though, so if that is possible, I would recommend it as a first choice.

Lance
  • We are new to all of this -- we are using Foxy cart as the sopping cart which downloads to CDG Commerce/Quantum Gateway. I have a test credit card # from Quantum but Foxycart tells me "Test Cards Not Enabled." how do I enable test cards please?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @OUN1955,

Based on our documentation here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/quantum you need to get a test account from Quantum as well - have you done that? You'll need to plug the test account details into the FoxyCart payment page with the payment servers set to test.
  • Guys in this scenario and other scenarios that require multiple stores (i.e. main site and mobile site until the responsive stuff comes out), how do we replicate store settings.

I have a tonne of configuration in my main store (coupons, language updates, payment gateways etc etc etc) and i would not even know where to start manually re-configuring this in a test store or mobile store.

have you got anything that will import/export settings across stores?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Currently, we don't have a way to do this automatically. You can vote for that feature here: http://requests.foxycart.com/forums/4162-general-requests/suggestions/615115-ability-to-duplicate-a-foxycart-store Unfortunately, that feature request doesn't appear to be very popular.