how to update customer email address

sunsurfsunsurf Member
in Help edited September 2012
Hello,

My client's customer has a new email address.

How do they update this (or any other info like address etc)?

Surely they don't have to create a whole new account. Or do they?

Or can I do it somewhere for them in the admin panel?

Please advise.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

N
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hello sunsurf. FoxyCart uses the email address as the primary identifier for a FoxyCart customer account. There isn't currently an easy way to update that unless you use the API: http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/1.0/api#example

That example should show you how to update the email address, given the customer_id. If you have any questions, please let us know.
  • Thanks Luke,

Wow that looks really technical just to update an email address or some other address info.
    Is that something the client does (ie do we send them the feed) or do we do it for them?

I am not sure what to do with the code on that example page - where do I put it in the modx evo site and how do I utilise it?

It would awesome if there was a way for a customer to easily update any of their contact details on the checkout page - that is the only place where a customer enters their details for my client's site and this seem like a very complicated way to update an email address (or other contact detail).

Am I best telling them that the easiest way to update their email address is to create a new account? Seems kind of awkward in this day and age and then there will be double ups in in the customer database.

Speaking of which, is there a customer database within Foxy admin that an admin user could manually edit rather than doing this API feed you mentioned?

Cheers Luke.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @sunsurf,

Unfortunately at this point the only way to update the customers email is via the API, we don't currently have an interface to manage customers from within the administration or elsewhere.

As to how to integrate the API - the examples are just the raw code to communicate with it. If you're wanting to allow customers or the store administrator to utilise the API you'd need to create an interface they can use that would communicate with the API behind the scenes.

At present, the customer can login to the checkout and change any other information associated with their account (password, address, payment details), but not the email address.

Just to confirm - is this for a subscription, or for a normal transaction?
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for the detailed info.

Wow, that's sounds complicated re the API.

This is for normal transactions (processed as offline orders).

Is there any chance you could add this as a feature request - changing email is a relatively common requirement and in my eyes no different to having to update a password or address .

So I will tell the site owner that their customer has to create a new account given they have a new email address - bummer, but that's how it is at the moment.

Thanks Adam.

Have a great day.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    @sunsurf, I've been thinking about building a customer management feature into Order Desk (http://foxytools.com/orderdesk/). If I did this, you'd be able to use the tool to edit the customer's record yourself. So in order to change emails they'd need to contact you directly, but you'd be able to make the change. Does that sound like something that would work for you?

Just to be clear, the feature isn't built yet, but it's something I've been thinking about. What version of FoxyCart are you using?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    @sunsurf: Can you add that request here? http://requests.foxycart.com/ As you can see, we have quite a bit of things we're working on at the moment.
    Also, for updating anything else for the customer (other than the email address), you can do a cart=updateinfo checkout. More on that can be found in the docs. If this is a one-off request, you can also whisper us the details and we can take care of it for you on our end.
  • sunsurfsunsurf Member
    edited September 2012
    Hi Sparkweb,
    Sure thing, that sounds great and understood that you are just thinking about it at the moment - we have no problems with manually updating an email address for a customer. As long as it is easy to do, I like it. It's a much better option than a customer having to create a new account if they change their email address (that seems silly). We are using 0.7.2.

Hi Luke,
    I would if I could get anywhere by clicking the "Post a new idea..." link on the RHS. I can click any other link on that site but not the one to enter a new request. It's like its disabled (is that because I have -3 votes??). I would really like to request this feature... For this one instance, I have advised the client to ask their customer to create a new account with their new email address.

Thanks for all your help.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    @sunsurf: just search for what you're looking for. When it doesn't come up as an existing option, you should be given the choice to suggest a new option. But... if you have -3 votes... who knows. That seems a bit odd. @brett want to take a look?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @sunsurf, I agree that it's awkward that we don't support this. I think though that it falls under this request: http://requests.foxycart.com/forums/4162-general-requests/suggestions/1104571-customer-portal-to-view-transactions-subscription

If you'd like to add a comment there, go for it. Odd about the -3 votes though. … Really odd.
  • Thanks Brett.

I am really sorry but somehow I accidentally knocked 3 votes off that page. The good thing is I no longer have -3 votes, I am now on 0.

I took it from 60 to 57. DOH!

Can you make a mental note that that should be 63 votes, not 57....
  • @sunsurf - Have you seen Convergence ( http://www.convergencecms.co/ ) ?

We have customer management built-in to the CMS - in addition we have Product / Category management, Sales reporting and easy inline content editing.

Let me know if you would like to see a demo - we love Foxy and we have a very complete integration with their API - so you don't have to worry about re-coding that portion.

Thanks,

eric smith

http://www.convergencecms.co/contact
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    +1

Thanks for commenting, Eric.
  • Thanks for the link Eric. That's an intuitive and great looking cms and I have bookmarked it to consider for future projects. Now back to this post...
  • @sparkweb I love order desk and thanks for all your help with the integration!

That tool as described would be great, also some sort of stats panel or stats reporting would also be awesome!

Maybe do an 'order desk premium' with some added features and charge a monthly fee or whatever?
    Thanks for the feedback @billem. Glad it's working well for you. (Do you mind whispering your store name?) I am planning on transitioning to a paid model for high-transaction accounts and will try to work on getting that user module built out ASAP. Thanks for the nudge. :)
  • As a side note to this... This may not be a long term solution but could either provide a 'quick fix' or some sample code I have just found this great little lib in the integration section

http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration/php/api_customeredit_example

Basically you can either upload it to your server or they have a 'live demo' (but it needs your store url and api key - and as the author honestly points out be careful who you trust on the internet!!)

It will load a customer based on either email or cust_id and allow you to edit their details.

Might help someone who stumbles over this thread in the future....

• Hi there,

This is an old thread but I'm having trouble searching the forum (get a zillion unrelated results) so am resurrecting it.

I'm trying to update a customer email - they made a typo in their email while signing up for a subscription. Is there now a way to make this change directly in the Foxycart store administration?

@sparkweb - I've changed the email address in Order Desk - this will get updated in the Foxycart, correct? So when the next order goes through for this customer, it will email the corrected email address?

Thanks!

@Sparky,

Unfortunately there isn't yet a way to update a customer's email from within the FoxyCart administration yet. Utilising OrderDesk should be a good way to achieve it now - I'll let @sparkweb confirm that question for you.
  • Thanks Adam!
    Hi @Sparky, yup -- updating the customer email in Order Desk updates the customer record at FoxyCart.
  • loopedlooped Member
    Please would you let me know if anything has changed regarding customer emails.
    An existing customer's email is no longer in use and he needs to change it. This is for an ordinary transaction not a subscription.
    Will he have to set up a new account ? If so his previous one will still effectively exist with his details, unused. How long would this previous account be kept active if not used?
    Is the API still the only way? It is not something I have not used it yet so I am unsure as to how much time it would take to understand and implement.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    @looped,

Thanks for posting - the approach this thread describes is still the current way that it works.

As this is just a single customer that you need to update, if you could reach out to our helpdesk and confirm the store this is for, the customer that needs to be update and what they need their email be updated to, we can help with getting that changed for you.