Which payment gateway should I choose?

Hi people!
Finally we decided to use foxycart in an eCommerce web site in Uruguay. The question is, what payment gateway should we configure in our foxycart's admin panel? We need Paypal and international credit cards support. Also, what else do our client (the web site's owner) need to do in order to receive the payments? I think getting a business paypal account to receive payments, and contacting visa, master card, etc (or payment gateway?) Please give me some orientation about this. Perhaps http://docs.foxycart.com/primer/the_pieces ?
Thank you very much
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    Hi @rmercader,

So for Uruguay our options are a little limited for payment gateway options, and you're essentially stuck with PayPal Express for accepting live payments.

So for your setup, you'd need to setup a basic PayPal account (a business account would be fine) and you'd just utilise the "Let customers pay with PayPal" and plug in the PayPal email address for the account. This will allow customers to jump over to PayPal from your checkout page, and from there the customers could either pay with PayPal or with their credit card.

Unfortunately at this stage it doesn't look like we support a payment gateway in Uruguay that would allow customers to enter credit cards on your FoxyCart checkout - but they can pay with one on the PayPal payment page.

Does that help?
  • Thank you very much for you response, Adam. So we will engage our client to setup a paypal business account and configure its email address in foxycart's admin in the Paypal Express checkout configuration. Also I noticed that if you configure Paypal express checkout and Paypal pro as gateway, it lets you pay with your international credit card as well. Or it is all part of the paypal configuration? Do we need to ask our client to setup a merchant account with visa for example? Or the credit card options are the credit cards that are "wrapped" by the paypal account of the buyer?
    @rmercader,

As I mentioned, people should be able to pay with international credit cards from on the PayPal Express payment page, so if you're ok with running with that as your only payment option, you won't need to have an additional gateway.

You don't need to approach each individual cart provider - the payment options support is completely defined by the payment option that you use. So using PayPal Express should allow you to use a PayPal account or the key payment cards available - but the customers are redirected over to the PayPal hosted payment page after checkout.

PayPal Pro isn't listed as a Uruguay supported payment option on our wiki - but that's not to say it wouldn't work necessarily - we're just not aware of it's presence or have had it tested. Are you able to setup a PayPal Payments Pro account in Uruguay?
  • In foxycart's admin panel, in STORE -> Payment I have checked the Let customers pay with a Credit or Debit Card option. Then, I selected Paypal Payments Pro. Should I leave this checkbox unchecked? Or use another gateway option like "Authorize.net". I think that it should allow any person with an international credit card to pay with it, wherever he/she lives, Uruguay, USA, or Fiji Islands ;-)
    Or am I totally mistaken ?
    Thanks in advance
    @rmercader,

You're based in Uruguay, so you only want to select a payment gateway that is supported within Uruguay. At present I'm only really aware of PayPal as being supported - and from our gateway we're only aware of PayPal Express being the payment option available. Within your country, do you have access to PayPal Payments Pro? If so, you may be able to select PayPal Payments Pro and allow people to pay with their credit card on your FoxyCart checkout page.

I think there is some confusion here though on where customers can pay with Credit Cards.

So if you only select the option on the payments page to let customers pay with their PayPal account, this will provide a text box to enter your PayPal account email. With just this option selected, when a customer reaches your FoxyCart checkout, they will fill in their address information and then be redirected over to the PayPal Express payments page which is hosted by PayPal themselves. From this page, customers can elect to either login and pay with their PayPal account or pay with a credit card they have. So using this method, people are able to pay with their credit card, but they are redirected over to PayPal to complete that purchase and the money will be deposited into your PayPal account.

If you have access to a payment gateway option, such as Authorize.Net or PayPal Payments Pro, then you can select the 'Pay with a Credit or Debit Cart' and select the relevant gateway. This will then allow people to enter their credit card on your FoxyCart hosted checkout page without needing to be redirected over to PayPal.

To be clear, having a standard PayPal account does not give you the ability to use to accept credit cards on your FoxyCart checkout page. A standard PayPal account can only accept payments via PayPals hosted payment page.

Does that make sense?
  • That was a really good and complete explanation. However, one thing is spinning in my head: Authorize.net, and anyone of those gateways that foxycart lets you choose in the admin, are country-dependent? I ask you this because we are implementing the uruguayan payment options on our side regarding all security and PCI compliance issues as possible, but we are really happy with the cart, paypal and international credit cards options that foxycart provides. The idea is that anyone who buys in the web site (perhaps not uruguayan user, of course), that has a Visa or Master Card, can pay with it directly in foxycart's checkout page (Perhaps a Brazilian visitor that has no paypal account).
    edited September 2012
    @rmercader,

Yeah, gateways are country dependent. As the action of a payment gateway is to capture funds and deposit them into your bank account through the banks merchant facility, gateways only integrate with some banks - generally to a specific country or group of countries.

With this in mind, it's very important that you select a payment gateway that supports the bank that you are wanting to use.

The difference with PayPal is that it is a gateway and a merchant account in one - so it captures the funds and then deposits it into your PayPal account. From there you can request the money be sent to your bank account that you have linked to your PayPal account.

The idea is that anyone who buys in the web site (perhaps not uruguayan user, of course), that has a Visa or Master Card, can pay with it directly in foxycart's checkout page (Perhaps a Brazilian visitor that has no paypal account).
    As I mentioned, any user, whether from Uruguay or somewhere else, can pay with either their credit card or the PayPal account from the PayPal Express payment page. The customer would be redirected over to that page from the FoxyCart checkout if the PayPal Express payment option is all you have selected. As far as I'm aware, this option is the only one we support currently in Uruguay, so that would be your best bet - and would allow you to accept both credit card and paypal payments.
  • Excellent, thank you very much. We will enable PayPal Express Checkout as the only option and go on.
    Thank you again ;)