Google Analytics integration attempt: __utma mismatch troubleshooting?

MattMatt Member
in Help edited September 2012
Hi. I'm trying to improve GA integration for svcseattle.com (svc.foxycart.com) and have followed all the steps detailed here. I can use GA's real time mode to confirm that hits/URLs are being reported as expected, but I'm almost certain I'm failing the cookie test. The __utma values for svcseattle.com and svc.foxycart.com are radically different across various browsers and sessions.

This could easily be a failure of mine to understand what would result in the same __utma and the explanatory link on the wiki is now dead.

Suspected conflicts:
- the website stores its cookies in '.svcseattle.com' as there are subdomains to be tracked
- I use mod_rewrite to unconditionally force https and add 'www' to any given request address
- cart version is 0.7.0 and I've just recently added a separate receipt template after relying solely on a checkout template
- I haven't touched references to foxycart.js (on client site) or foxycart.complete.js (on FoxyCart site) in about a million years

Are there any obvious problems I can fix? Is there a way I can further troubleshoot the problem that I barely understand?
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Matt,

@brett is our resident GA expert - he'll get back to you shortly with some suggestions
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hey @Matt. Can you whisper me a way to see a page with an add-to-cart link or form? I think you set me up with a test account ages ago but I don't have it anymore.
    So… I'm not seeing why this isn't working, but you're right that it's not. …

The only thing I can think is that maybe it's related to SSO? That'd be really odd though… 

Ok though, I've got nothing. And that's frustrating, because I spent ages making sure this code worked really well, and it's not. And I don't know why, and it's going to bother me all weekend. Could you try disabling SSO and seeing if that helps? I don't think it will, but it's the only thing I can think at this point.
    @Matt, any thoughts here? Not being able to figure this out is really bothering me.
  • Sorry brett, I didn't mean to disappear on you. I need to wait for a really odd hour to experiment/disable SSO. We're also waiting on an SEO pro to review the current analytics, and if the session mismatch doesn't affect the reporting I'd just as well let it be.

The whole integration relies heavily on SSO, so I wouldn't be surprised if our setup represented some kind of edge case. Anyway I'll report back if I get a chance to tinker a bit more!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Do you have a test store in place with a test SSO endpoint? That might help in diagnosing this.
  • Hey Luke,

This would be a good thing to have, but unfortunately I don't. Because I sync user information with FoxyCart in a bunch of different places for this integration, I disable FoxyCart ties in my test environment. Clearly, I need a better way to test.

I'm trying to scramble up a (figurative) work avalanche this week but I'll try not to leave Brett in too much suspense.