The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Spanish website at subdomain (and conflicting cookies)

ocorralocorral Member
in Help edited September 2012
So after reading the documentation for awhile, I finally understand that I cannot have two different FoxyCart sessions going on at the same time when one of them is at "www". The plan was to develop a Spanish website for www.revolutiontrans63.com at the subdomain es.revolutiontrans63.com. (I am currently developing on the dev. subdomain) But I have since realized that if a product is added on the English site, it also appears in the Spanish site shopping cart.....

now....for my question.... This behavior isn't the worst thing the world since the products are going to be the same on both sites. According to the documentation, there could be some "unexpected results"
Or if you want to have different FoxyCart sites at donations.example.com and products.example.com, you'd need the cookies not to be set at .example.com or the sessions would overlap with unexpected results. (Another example would be if your site is at a 3rd party provider like example.squarespace.com, you don't want all *.squarespace.com sites sharing your FoxyCart sessions.)

Would you happen to know what that would be? And would there by any harm in continuing this way? I have just about everything else separate (the add to cart buttons, google analytics, etc). If it is not recommended then what way do you all recommend? The es. subdomain is our preferred way from an SEO and CMS perspective.

Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for posting @ocorral. I've pinged @brett and asked him to get back to you as he's the most familiar with the multi-language setups.
  • okay we have decided to move the english site to en. and the spanish at es.

According to the documentation, we shouldn't have any conflicts. Is this correct?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Correct.

For your last question though, the "unexpected results" would mostly be that if they hit the www site first, their cookie (and session) would be at the English site. This gets a little weird at times because there are situations where even though it might look like the user is on the Spanish site, it might actually be flipping back and forth. So yeah, we don't recommend it :)
  • ocorralocorral Member
    edited October 2012
    everything is working :-)