The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Foxycart Modx Revo Tutes?

foxymarkfoxymark Member
in Help edited October 2012
Can anybody point me int he direction of a beginners tute for setting up Foxycart with modx revolution?

I've searched around the net and there doesn't seem to be much on it.

Someone must have done at least one Foxycart Modx Revo integration.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Comments
  • megasteve4megasteve4 Member
    edited October 2012
    I'm currently putting together a paid membership site on Revo and despite both Foxy Cart and Modx seeming to promote one another on the whole I have found very little current documentation (especially for a paid membership set up) specifically about integrating both platforms.

This is vid is a good starting point (Its possibly modx Evo) but all of the requirements easily translate to Revo http://www.my619.com/foxy-cart-modx-tutorial-1

I believe there were a couple of Modx plugins made to intergrate with foxycart but these all seem dated and unsupported now on the whole (sample - http://modx.com/extras/package/foxycartwebuserpaidsubsciptionsnow)

Given the flexibility of both Modx Revo and Foxycart it seems like the two could provide a solution for most scenarios. If you are comfortably with Modx I would start going through the foxycart docs. There are quite a few 'getting started' tuts (http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/0.6.0/screencasts/getting_started) which should be pretty straight forward to re-work into a Modx environment.

Good luck!
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @foxymark, there is currently a full FoxyCart + MODX Revo solution being built, but we don't have an ETA on that. But we've been talking with the devs (and it's got at least the informal blessing of the MODX team itself), and it looks like it'll be awesome.

In the meantime, let us know what you need help with. Though it's a little more work to get going, between MODX and FoxyCart there's a LOT of power :)

@megasteve4, thanks for chiming in!
  • Any update on this? I need to get an ecommerce site set up, and find myself wondering again and again about something like this.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @bkkjim,

I'll ask @brett to chime in with any word on updated progress on the FC + ModX integration front, but just to reiterate, it's totally possible to integrate FoxyCart into ModX without an integration/plugin, it essentially requires including some files in your page head and creating an add to cart link or form at its most basic level.
  • We're working hard on a full turnkey MODx Revo + FoxyCart solution... we'll have videos and instructional documents, but we are several months away from a proper release. Stay tuned...
  • I wish this were available right now. I've built a couple of sites using MODx + Foxy and the overall experience has been great. Right now I'm faced with a project that's pure e-comm with a fair number of products 1k-1,500. Also, the client has an existing site and it would be helpful to be able to "easily" migrate some of that existing data.

Anyone have insight or feedback on using MODx/FC for larger product catalogs? My biggest concern is inventory management and the general idea that I'll be taking a CMS and retro-fitting it to act as an e-comm manager.

I'm reluctant to abandon Foxy for a turnkey solution, but I want to do right by the client.
    @everett may have some suggestions for you based on his experiences so far.

For what it's worth, it's definitely possible to achieve inventory management within ModX - we did have a snippet for ModX floating around at some point.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @bodhiC, like @fc_adam said, inventory is pretty straightforward if you're handy with MODX. Unfortunately I don't think anybody's released any code to make it easier than writing it yourself, but if you do have the ability to work with our datafeed and the MODX API it shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

Importing the products also would be doable. (Way WAY back when, I think @Luke actually wrote some code to do this that ended up being used in the Evo Doc Manager module.) I know people have done this but again, unfortunately there's no easy script to run to do the migration.

We do have users with hundreds or thousands of products, but you're right that there is a point where you have to examine the priorities to determine whether rolling certain things yourself makes the most sense. Is it a project that has specific requirements that'd make FoxyCart and/or MODX work better than an off-the-shelf ecommerce solution? (I mean, besides the obvious "MODX is infinitely better than the baked-in CMS systems in most ecommerce solutions" :)
  • Hi Brett & Adam. Thank your for your responses.

I'm pretty comfortable with MODx and could probably roll my own inventory management. There really are no specific requirements that make Foxy + MODx work better, other than as you point out MODx is way better than most baked-in CMS/e-commerce solutions.

I guess the other consideration is that I do like the idea of the cart as a hosted solution. Prestashop and Opencart seem like they could be fun to play with, but it puts my mind at ease to have you all dealing with security, etc... ;-) Also, the turn-key hosted solutions are pricey compared to Foxycart and some charge transaction fees. Monthly hosting for the MODx site plus Foxycart, is still cheaper than turn-key especially if you have a fair amount of products.

Would you mind sending me an example or two of users thousands of products?
  • We've got our "Moxycart" Foxycart + MODX plugin going live (still a bit of tweaks and improvements and documentation). We have inventory management worked in (i.e. the full Foxycart data feed is parsed). We'll be releasing this as a MODX package soon and making the repo public on Github, but it's quite possible that many implementations would still require some custom dev work.
    @everett,

Very excited to see it! Let us know when you get it live and we'll let people know via our different social media channels too