The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Test transaction

pbuickpbuick Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited September 2007
How do you submit a transaction as a "test" to foxycart? I see under orders in the admin section there is a way to sort orders as live and test, but I can't figure out how to send orders as tests.Is there a value I need to pass to Foxy Cart?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    "test" transactions should be all transactions submitted using a "test" gateway. Purchase Order and Offline payments are considered "live" gateways. If you submit a transaction through a live gateway, it will be considered a live transaction.

The next version will have the ability to hide certain transactions and exclude them from the export for test and refund purposes.

Does that help?
  • pbuickpbuick Member
    edited September 2007
    The next version will have the ability to hide certain transactions and exclude them from the export for test and refund purposes.

Yupp, this will be very helpfull.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    This is done in v0.2.9, so let us know how it works for you.
  • I tried a test transaction (i'm new to fc) and it seems that a valid credit card number must be entered. Is it right ?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Go ahead and use 4242424242424242 and any date in the future, that should work ok.
    The PayPal test number (for use with the sandbox gateway) is the 4242 number. For test.authorize.net it's 4111111111111111 (though I think anything will actually work there, could be wrong).

PayPal's sandbox is actually really, really slow (and times out occasionally), so we recommend using Authorize.net for testing.
  • johnjohn Member
    How do I go about submitting an Authorize.net test transaction while the rest of a store operates off the live gateway?
    You can set your authorize.net account (in your auth.net admin) to test mode. As far as I know there's no way to get auth.net to run a test unless it's set to test mode, but I could be wrong. (Some other gateways do allow test cards even if the gateway is live, but I think this is kind of a bad idea. CDG allows it but it's configurable.)

I usually flip Auth.net over (or flip FoxyCart over) to the test mode late at night when I'm doing testing, but if you don't have that luxury, you could just get the transaction ready to process, flip it, hit checkout, then flip it back and hope no real orders went through in the 10 seconds you had it on test.
  • johnjohn Member
    Thanks Brett, they evidently do have a way but I didn't know if it worked with FoxyCart or not. I'll do it your way as I doubt they'll have a transaction.

Pasted from the Authorize.net site:
    By including the x_test_request field with a value of “TRUE” in the transaction request string to https://secure.authorize.net/gateway/transaction.dll. See the sample below.

Sample for submitting the test request field
    <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="x_test_request" VALUE="TRUE">
    Ah, ok. Yeah we don't have a way to pass that in. All the live/test is done storewide in the admin.

If we could do that, how would you like to see it implemented?
  • johnjohn Member
    Yeah,

The switch off/switch on method already caused one live transaction to be processed by the test gateway. It's a subscription so it is going to be a pain to fix.

I'd definitely like to see a means of sending tests through for certain transactions without taking everything offline.

Thanks,
    John
    To fix the sub, just activate it, set the date for tomorrow, let it run, then switch the date back. Clearly you'll need to communicate with the customer to make sure they know what's going on.

We'll think about sending test transactions. The tricky part is making it easy enough for you to do yourself but not allowing customer to do it. Clearly you wouldn't want customers sending in test orders, as that'd be confusing and irritating.
  • johnjohn Member
    Maybe there could be a custom form variable that could be sent but it would only work if turned on in the admin page.
    Just a thought.

I'm doing a gift certificate like iTunes where it generates a code and then activates the code on purchase so someone can activate a subscription with the code. I wouldn't care if it went to the gateway because I already have that part working. I just want to test that everything is coming through foxycart OK and that I get the data I need back out of the feed to activate the code.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Another option we've thrown around is a way to "clone" a store so you could actually have two stores going, one in live mode and one in test mode as your sandbox. This might be a premium feature we offer down the road, but for now you could add your own test store and do things that way. Just be careful when switching back and forth between stores because it's pretty easy to accidentally change something on the wrong store. Just check the title in the browser window to be sure.