USPS LIve Shipping Fails to Return Rate for Certain Customers

bushybushy Member
in Help edited October 2012
Looking for any suggestions or insights anyone can offer...I used USPS LIve Shipping Rates with my Foxycart. Almost since its inception, I get a few customers each month who report the cart does not return a shipping rate (and thus the sale is thwarted). I have looked at this from every possible angle and have never been able to solve it. Some of the things testing has turned up:

1. This is not a matter of the connection to USPS being down (which I know happens sometime). In the cases I'm encountering, it seems more an issue related to the customer. I've been on the phone with them and at the same moment they are unable to get a shipping rate I can enter their identical purchase and address info and get a rate back.

2. The Live Shipping Methods I have selected in Foxycart Admin are correct and not part of the problem

3. At least one of these customers has tried to order multiple times over the course of several years and can never get a shipping rate. I have to take his info over the phone and enter it myself, after which it goes in fine.

4. The vast majority of my customers have no issue.

Any ideas? A setting on the client's browser? A protocol issue somewhere between their IPS and USPS? (This latter would surprise me...I'd expect the only communication needed is between Foxycart and USPS). I'm at a loss.
Tagged:
Comments
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    @bushy, can you whisper your store name and the customer info that causes the problem to one of the admins (brett, luke, fc_adam) so they can look at this? It really helps to have a store to look at your settings.

Very strange problem.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We have seen intermittent connection issues with all of the live shipping rate providers we support. That being said, if you're seeing a consistent problem with a specific customer, that seems very strange (especially if you can't reproduce it). Which store is this for? We may be able to turn on some logging for your store and if/when it happens again get a better view of what's happening.

Without being able to reproduce it ourselves, it will be very difficult for us to fix.
  • Thx guys. Yes, not being able to reproduce really has me stuck. Will whisper you store and customer info later this evening.