Tricky question on updating quantity in cart

kanjigirlkanjigirl Member
in Help edited October 2012
My client is selling font packs where the price varies depending on the number of licenses needed. For example, one font for one CPU for $60, one font for two CPU's might be $95. So, the price does not scale with the number of licenses.

In Foxycart, where we have the Quantity, it might show 1 for the purchase of a font with 20 licenses. We don't want the buyer to be able to change the Quantity to 2 because the price would then be for 2 fonts with 20 licenses.

My client would like to have the buyer be able to update the number of licenses from within Foxycart, but I don't think that's possible; we're using a script to calculate the total price of a font x number of licenses, and that *final number* is what we're sending to Foxycart. Does that sound right, my assumption about it not working to update the licenses?

Can we make the quantity update link instead be a way to only remove an item, but not change the number of them in the cart?
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @kanjigirl,

You could simply hide the quantity box on the cart using CSS in your cart template to set it to "display:none;" which would prevent people from being able to change the quantity. You could also give the product a product option of "quantity_max=1" to only allow 1 of the product to be ordered.

The best way I can see it to achieve being able to update the licenses would be to treat the quantity field as the number of licenses required, so people would be updating the number of licenses rather than the quantity.
  • If we treated the quantity field as the number of licenses, we'd need to have a set of prices per number of licenses for each font. It wouldn't just go x, x*2, x*3 which would be nice; there are about 20 price levels for each font. So that's why I'm thinking we can't do that within Foxycart... I think modifying the quantity box might be good.

I was told in another post that we shouldn't add custom product options for downloadables - is quantity_max a default option, not a custom one?
    @kanjigirl,

That's right - quantity_max is a default product option, so that should be fine.

If there are tiers to the pricing, you could conceivably apply a category discount to the downloadables category to account for the tiers - but if that is unique for each downloadable that might not be a great option.
  • Got it, sounds good. I'll add quantity_max tomorrow. Thanks!
  • This works fine - thanks! The client may want to just hide the quantity box, but this or that option will work.
  • Adam, one more question. Is it possible to change the default text that pops up with quantity_max to something other than "# is greater than the maximum allowed quantity."?
    @kanjigirl,

Look for "notice quantity max" under cart in the language section of your stores FoxyCart administration.
  • Perfect, thank you.

One unrelated question - is it possible to remove the download link from the receipt page and only have it in the email the customer receives? Would I just hide it with CSSS?
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    yup - or you could remove it with twig (if using 1.0)
    @kanjigirl,

I'd actually not recommend trying to hide things in the email receipt using CSS. CSS support can be finicky at the best of times, if you want to reliably hide the download link, I'd suggest using the Twig template as @sparkweb suggested in version 1.0
  • I don't want to hide it in the email, only in the receipt page...
    @kanjigirl,

Ahha! Sorry I missed that completely! So yeah, CSS would totally work for you :)
  • Done, thanks!