Checkout with paypal - Displayed shipping cost does not include tax.

Hi,

When using the "Checkout with paypal" button in the Cart,

Once I get to the paypal page, there is "Order Summary" on the left, with a list of parts,

Below this it reads:

Item total: £100
VAT: £20
Postage and packing: £25

But after it has gone through the payment process, it adds £5 VAT onto the postage, so the customer sees a subtotal of £145, but then has to pay£150.

is this a fault with paypal? or is this something that needs to be sorted on foxycart's end?

Cheers,

Tom.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @mut,

Does the additional $5 get added on on the FoxyCart checkout? Could you let us know which store this is for?
  • @fc_adam

stairbox.foxycart.com

the £5 tax gets added on in paypal, so i assume its a paypal fault, everything adds up fine, the customer is charged the right amount, It just shows in the paypal "review" stage as £5 less because the shipping shows no tax, but it gets added when they hit pay.

Cheers,

Tom.
    @mut,

So the issue you're probably running into is that the main calculations of a customers charges happens on the FoxyCart checkout page. So for a customer who follows the cart > Paypal > checkout path, PayPal doesn't really have a full picture of the charges for the customer. At that point, all FoxyCart really knows is that there will be the $25 shipping as that's a flat fee for that category (ie: a known charge).

Generally speaking, taxes require a customer input to know if it applies or not, so tax calculations happen on the checkout. For your setup though, you have a global tax - so obviously that should be known at the point of cart > PayPal like your shipping, but it looks like we're not doing any tax calculations at that point. I'll create a ticket for the team to look into that.

For now, you could take it two ways. You could either leave it as is, as ultimately the customer will be charged the right amount on the FoxyCart checkout page when they confirm their purchase, or you can remove the PayPal link from the cart to push people through the checkout page first. That way when they hit PayPal they will have the correct taxes applied.
  • hmm, ok.

I will probably leave it as is, Paypal account manager was keen to have it as is, when negotiating rates.

Cheers,

Tom.
    @mut,

It is actually a guideline from PayPal that the customers are able to go that path - cart > PayPal > checkout, which is why we have it present in our cart.